Can I join 2 Data sources (SQL and PostgreSQL) into a single DataTable

Georgi Koemdzhiev

Hello, here is my situation. At the moment our team have a DataTable called"DT1" that is In-database (i.e. External) that is produced by joining 3 database viewsfrom anSQL database (using Relationships in Spotfire Analyst).

Recently, anew requirement came in to add another data source (PostgreSQL) and join the data into another DataTable "DT2" based on a common field (i.e. id). My question is, is it possible to join 2 different Data sources - SQL and PostgreSQL and keep the resulting DataTable In-database (i.e. External)

If that is not possible, what are my alternative here Thank you in advance!

Hello Georgi,

It is not possible to add rows or columns to an in-db data table.

Reference: https://docs.tibco.com/pub/sfire-analyst/10.8.0/doc/html/en-US/TIB_sfire...

I don't see any alternative with External Data. So if you can consider 'Import Data' option, one possible alternative can be to replace the data table and use the same connection but this time import the data (DT1), make a copy of DT1 as DT2, Add Columns (Import only) from PostgreSQL to DT2.

Thank you for your answer Shashank. It really helps. Unfortunately, it is impossible to import the DT1 data table as it contains more than 330M records, it has to be External otherwise the DXP file would be huge. 

Would you say that the following workarounds are all I can do in order to resolve the above problem

- Import the PostgreSQL table to the SQL database. So that both tables are on one server and thus we could utilise the Relationships feature of Spotfire

- do the one above, and perform the join on the database and combine the tables into one that we can then consume in Spotfire