I have a form level field with multi-select values which is like check-box multiple options and how to add it in spotfire dataset

venkat rr

I have a dataset like below in rows and columns:

form_id

ptnt_name

mdate

ptnt1

M

1-Jan-20

ptnt2

M

2-Jan-20

ptnt3

F

2-Jan-20

Also, I have some multi-select or check-box columns say for example country of operation as below for the form_id

form_id

country of operation

US

Japan

China

US

Singapore

Australia

In which form, I need to send data from Oracle DB to Spotfire; if I send data separately in 2 different datasets, then they should apply joins in spotfire and also apply filters.

However, the dataset might be huge in more than 2 lakhs rows and it may have several multi-select or check-box columns and each of these multi-select columns will have more than 20 options .... country of operation 1 to country of operation 20... In such scenarios and from performance perspective, is it good to apply joins in spotfire level or to apply joins in DB level and send duplicated rows to Spotfire

Please help.

• 2 months later...

DB level joins or joins in information link/data connection are better than add columns in Spotfire because if there is index applied at DB end then performance would be better compared to add columns

If you are combining two tables in view and then fetching data from view in Spotfire, then it would be very fast as no joins are involved. But then you would need to setup another process at DB end to refresh this view daily.