How to execute the "Export table" menu item programatically in C#

Georgi Koemdzhiev

Hello, I am trying to figure out if it's possible to programmatically call the "Export table" menu item that appears when the user right-clicks on a Table visualization onthe WebPlayer.

The reason I am trying to do that is I am trying to develop a CustomTool C# extension to download the data that is currently shown in a Map chart. To do that, the current implementation converts a Map chart to a Table so I can call its ExportData method. However, that method requires a FileStream which requires a path. If I use the current implementation the logic tries to save the resulting file on the WebPlayer's server and not stream it down to the user's browser.

So I am thinking if there is a way to execute the "Export table" context menu item that is already build-in to Spotfire WebPlayer from code. The method downloads the resulting Excell file to the user (i.e. normal browser download behaviour).

Current snippet of code in my CustomTool:

protected override void ExecuteCore(VisualContent map)

{

map.Transactions.BeginAggregatedTransaction();

var doc = map.Context.GetAncestor();

AggregatedTransactionHandle transaction = doc.Transactions.BeginAggregatedTransaction();

doc.Transactions.ExecuteTransaction(delegate

{

var visual = map.Visual;

visual.TypeId = VisualTypeIdentifiers.Table;

var table = visual.As();

var dm = doc.Data.Markings.DefaultMarkingReference;

table.Data.Filterings.Add(dm);

var pathWithEnv = @"%UserProfile%DesktopExportData.xls";

var filePath = Environment.ExpandEnvironmentVariables(pathWithEnv);

if (!Directory.Exists(filePath))

{

Directory.CreateDirectory(filePath);

}

using (FileStream stream = File.Open(filePath, FileMode.Create))

{

table.ExportData(DataWriterTypeIdentifiers.ExcelXlsDataWriter, stream);

}

});

transaction.Rollback();

}

It might not be possible to trigger the export table UI functionality. Have you looked into developing a CustomExportTool instead of a CustomTool This will give you the ability to download the file on to users machine.

https://community.spotfire.com/wiki/create-custom-export-tool-tibco-spotfire

You can refer to the HTMLPrintTool example in the SDK which has the above implementation.

Or one other approach is to provide a UNC path in the custom tool where the user has access to so that they can access the file once exported.