I need a way to change the datasource of hundreds of columns from one to another.

Brian Frisch

I need a way to change the datasource of hundreds of columns from one to another. For example, think about if you developed 20 reports all pointing at 1 datasource, and you team chose to move to a new one. However, you can't simply change the datasource because other reports use that same source that are not in your area. You also want to test that everything works before a permanent switch is made. How can this be achieved

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
@[user:1755|Pavan Lingam] - we have automation services, but those automation tasks by my estimation won't do what we need them to. They can change the connection string of a datasource, and they can change things like schemas. I need them to actually remap the columns to point at a new datasource. Do you have an example of that

@[user:1755|Pavan Lingam] - It's half of it. They are changing to a new schema. However, they are also changing datasources all together (from Teradata_1 to Teradata_2), which have different GUIDs and different connection strings. I don't believe the above addresses actually changeing the datasource it is using.

Shannon, I did not find a specific solution to what I was looking for, but now I think I could at least try a few things to "hack" it into working. If you export the columns you need to change, then unzip the export, you can view the columns. In a text editor, there is a dependency either in the column itself or in the XML file that comes with it all. Alter that GUID to the new databases (to find that GUID, you would have to export and unzip and see what the file name is).

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Actually, this is not what is required in this question. Redirect doesn't change the data source itself, just catalog/schema parameters within the datasource. What is needed here is change the datasource for lots of columns. Say, you have datasource A and B. Redirect can change parameters within A (or B). What we would like to have is change all objects definition from A to B.

Thanks,

Laszlo