Does the NAS capacity get accounted for in the EVA Storage License

Tibco User

Suppose I have a TIBCO Loglogic EVA Medium, which allows me to store 2.5 TBdata. If I were to extend it via NAS, and add say 20TB capacity to it, would this capacity count towards my license requirement So I would need to buy additional storage op up for this Suppose i have 2 such applicances which share the NAS, would the number of add on for the capacity double or would it remain the same

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The limitations we apply is only for Local disk usage. So technically users can attach any size NAS/SAN without running into any limitations tied to licensing. Something to note is that data stored on NAS/SAN will have an impact on data search performance as the data is not stored locally. So it's ideal to make sure there is a balance in how much data is stored in the local disk vs how much is archived for performance.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Manoj.

Hi,

Ah, I see how that can be confusing. I apologize for the ambiguity in that paragraph. The wording there is intended to explain how the functionality (not performance) of the product will stay unaffected by the location of the data and is to provide an understanding of how LMI application layer handles the process of data archiving, and retrieval for reporting, searching and other functions. But at the end of the day on a physical layer (non-application level), NAS/SAN is still a 'mount' that is added to the LMI appliance and is treated as such. In any event of disconnect between NAS/SAN mount due to, let's say, a network-related issues or some other issue, LMI will not be able to read/write data to the mount. 

Taking this as a suggestion, I can have the wording in the document readjusted to reflect the intent better for the future so users understand the perspective in a more clear way. 

Let me know if that answers your question.

Thank you. Again, this was helpful. But I had read one more statement

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/logeva/6.2.1/doc/html/GUID-A1F31623-69BF-4A62-824E-6DA17037D380.html

it says

"LogLogic EVAhas the ability to grow its storage by attaching additional virtual SCSI hard drives to the instance. To increase yourLogLogic EVAstorage, please contact TIBCO Support to purchase additional licenses and steps on how to grow the disk size."

the article suggeststhat if I am adding VSCSI to EVA, I should purchase additional storage. While NAS is not the same as VSCSI, it again did suggest to me that adding additional storage capacity required purchase of additional storage top up licenses

Hi,

In the case of SCSI drives, it's addressing the need to grow local storage. So let's say you deploy an EVA with 500GB local storage and attach 10TB NAS/SAN. But due to a business use case or compliance or need to improve performance, you decided to host more data locally on the EVA storage, then you'll need to expand the 500GB storage disk attached to EVA. In a scenario like that, you'll need to follow the steps to add the SCSI disk and expand the logical volume to host more data locally. So the part of the documentation above mentioned is addressing that need. The local storage at that point is tied to licensing and hence it mentions the need to purchase an additional license if needed to extend the local disk by attaching new SCSI disks. 

NAS and SAN are not treated as SCSI disks so they are not accounted for licensing. But any other disks added to extend the logical volume of the EVA will be counted as local storage and hence are bound by the licensing terms of maximum storage allowed per image type. 

Hope that clarifies the above statement's intent. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Hello,

Put simply, any storage added as NAS to the EVA can only be added as archive (i.e. remote) storage and therefore won't be counted in the licensed storage. Archive/remote storage is mounted on a separate mountpoint from the local data store. Each file share will also be mounted using a separate mount point (up to 32 separate mountpoints are supported for remote storage).

Any storage that is added as virtual disks (e.g. VMDK) to the VM itself is integrated with the existing local storage and is mounted all under the same mount point as a single logical volume that grows in size as you add more virtual disks to the VM settings. Only this storage qualifies to be tracked for licensing purposes.

Any virtual disk that resides on NAS that is added to an EVA is still counted as local storage because of how it's added. It's added to the EVA as a virtual disk rather than a NAS file share.

regards

Brandon

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/logeva/6.2.0/doc/html/GUID-4294104C-47A6-487F-A3B9-390439B1440D.html

"When configured with an ST or LogLogic EVA appliance, a NAS server acts as a data storage extension where log data can be accessed as if it were still on the appliance. Therefore, the same access to reporting, indexing, searching, and alerting exists on the storage server as on the appliance itself."

to me this implies that it should be included . What do you say

thanks for the response