I need to make a sample of 10% of a data table (control group) Can anybody tell me how to do it

Antonio Aguilar

Can you upload sample data or at least explain the data structure and how the sample should be taken (a range of days 0 to 10 does not guarantee 10% so I am not sure I understand).

Where should this sampled data table be stored A new data table with 10% of the rows, or a marker column on the existing data table specifying which rows should be included or excluded

Gaia

So I understand you want to generate a stratified sample, i.e. a sample that preserves population proportions of your groups, your groups being the silent days ranges.

It would be easy with a TERR data function but you did not say whether this is an option.

I can suggest a workaround, which should be good enough since you have a lot of rows, unless some of your groups are incredibly rare (fewer than 10 instances - but then no stratified sampling would do).

Create a calculated column with the following expression (call it e.g. [rand1]):

RandBetween(1,Count(RowId()) OVER ([silentdays]),123) / Count(RowId()) OVER ([silentdays])

Where [silentdays] is the column containing your groups. 123 is just a random seed.

Count(RowId()) OVER ([silentdays]) is the total number of rows for each group. For each group, we extract a random number between 1 and this count, and we divide it by the count, so this number is bound between 0 and 1 and should uniformly sample each group.

Then, create a boolean column to separate out what is included in the sample

If([rand1]