Error in Formula: ')' after function expected

Kai Zhang

Dear all,

I am a beginning user of Statistica 13.5.0.17.

I was following the tutorial on (https://community.spotfire.com/wiki/primer-bi-and-iotiiot-and-edge-analytic...) When trying to run the workspace which has been shared as example in the tutorial an error appears in the 'Transformations of Variables' node.

"Error in formula: ')' after function expected"

However I haven't modifief the expression and it seems also correct by me, I have tried to search documentation and forum Q&A but cannot find the solution to this error.

Can anyone elaborate on this issue Kind regards,

Hi Gaia,

Thanks for the fast reply. Both the Regression and Classification don't work.

The expressions is:

FlameTemperatureLagged=lag("Flame temperature (F)",-10)

I didn't modify this expression, so it could have something to do with the way this version 13.5.0.17 compiles this expression I added a screenshot in attachment.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

Hi

I have exactly the same version of Statistica.

It might be due to the local formatting of numbers and separators. I see the formula with a comma separator of the arguments, before the -10, as you do:

FlameTemperatureLagged=lag("Flame temperature (F)",-10)

my colleagues in continental Europe see it like this with a semicolon:

FlameTemperatureLagged=lag("Flame temperature (F)";-10)

If I try to change mine to a semicolon I get the same error as you.

Could you try changing the comma to a semicolon

Gaia

Thanks. I see that your list separator is comma (,). When I set my region to the same as yours, my list separator becomes semicolon (;) so my expression appears with a semicolon and it works. When I change the list separator to comma, it gives the error. So if you go and change your list separator to semicolon in the control panel, it should work. Strange, I would have thought that using a comma both for the decimal and list separator would not normally happen. Gaia

Hi Gaia,

You are right if I change the list separator to a semicolon, then indeed it works. We usually prefer to use the comma separator for exporting excel to a comma separated file CSV, instead of a semicolon separated one. But indeed, if that is the issue here, than I will need to switch between the comma and semicolumn. I would have hoped that I could change this setting within statistica

Thanks a lot for solving the issue!

Kind regards,

Kai