Create table visualization that responds to 2 or more "Limit Data using Markings"

Andrew H

Hello there,

I have a requirement to create a table visualization that responds to markings from two different visualizations(let's call them "Visualization A" and "Visualization B"). All 3 visualizations are referencing the same underlying data table.

The idea is that the table visualization acts as a kind of"Details Table".

So when I mark "Visualization A", the expectation is that both"Visualization B" and "Details Table" will display whatever data is marked from "Visualization A". Then, when I mark "Visualization B", the "Details Table" is further filtered to show only what's marked between "Visualization A" and "Visualization B".

The issue I'm having is that the end-users wantboth "Visualization B" and the "Details Table" to show a 'Mark items to view details here' message by default while "Visualization A" displays everything by default.

And, currently when the end-user selectsan item from "Visualization A", "Visualization B" will display something but the"Details Table" will still display its 'Mark items to view details here' "because it is set to a "Rows must be included in: All markings (AND)" condition.

But what I need is for the "Details Table" to display items from "Visualization A" when "Visualization A " is marked. Then, when "Visualizaiton B" is marked, to further narrow down the rows shown in the "Details Table"

Would anyone know how to achieve this functionality Please let me know if what I'm asking is unclear.

Thanks

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

This is not feasible directly but you can make use of data function to trigger iron python script on change of marking. I have attached a dxp demonstrating the solutionusingSpotfire 7.11.I have tested the behavior in Spotfire 10.1 and it works successfully. You can test it in your version.

Basically what it does is when you mark in first cross table on left, data function will get triggered due to its input change which has count of marked rows as expression. This data function sets a document property which will trigger iron python script. This script will change the details visualization All marking (AND) to Any makring (OR). When you mark in bar chart, AND operation between markings should be performed so again this script will get executed and now the marking condition will change to AND

Hope this helps !!