Ironpython script to export visualization images to Excel

Funny Cat
Go to solution Solved by David Boot-Olazabal,

Is there a way to export images of visualizations to Excel?

Currently in our organization we're using a software for creating a report containing a bunch of electrical parameters and their statistical figures on an excel sheet. Each table row contains a link to another sheet where the corresponding visualizations are shown. The software is no longer maintained so I'm trying to build such kind of report in Spotfire using a cross table. The marking of the cross table row shows the corresponding visualizations. However, it would be great to export the cross table and the visualizations to excel, since also people without Spotfire need to be able to open the report.

So is there an iron python way to copy visualization images to Excel? (currently using Spotfire Analyst 12.0.4 LTS)

I tried to modify the code in the following link, but I didn't succeed. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31731159/script-to-export-spotfire-graphic-to-powerpoint

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi Funny Cat,

There is the out of the box export functionality in Spotfire, concerning tables and crosstabs. This functionality will not work for other visualizations, like bar charts, line charts, etc. Those can be exported as image (.bmp) after which you may be able to add them in Excel. However, that will not be an option yet, given your Spotfire version. There are iron python code snippets available to export a data table to excel: from client only or from web player

If your need is to export other visualizations, what you can do, is have a look at a similar question here. It is based on Python code, rather than Iron Python. Although it is about exporting visualizations to PowerPoint, you may be able to use the same approach for exports to Excel, using a different Python library.

Kind regards,

David

Edited by David Boot-Olazabal