Hello World - Python Data Function with input/output parameters

Vincent Thuilot

Experimenting with Python a few things, I realized there is no content with a Hello World Data Function example. Is this something that you could share/look at?

Assuming Parameter1 is the input, it could go like this:

If parameter 1 above 5, then Parameter2 (the output) Value is "Hello World!"

or "Type a number above 5".

Sorry if some content exist on this, but so far I could only find it for IronPython.

Thanks for your support, it will help to share more on this topics to my colleagues with good examples.

Hello Gaia,

Yes, that would be a basic resource with Hello World for Python Data functions.

In the meantime I worked out on a small example attached. Will share it to my colleagues so they can see how this works.

Just thought that it was something maybe missing as a dedicated article or sample file for people to learn Python more generally.

Attached is a small video capture, the script is doing the job with a basic command to show Hello World.

Hello Vincent,

First, I think a Hello World example is a great idea. I have added your comments here to an existing (internal) idea for exactly that.  

For now, in addition to your video, there is a Dr. Spotfire session - "Using Python in Spotfire (Data Functions)" (

) - that could be useful for anyone getting started with Python data functions. There is e.g. a basic example in that session starting at