Option to make selection in Color by Option

Cristian Tibrea

Hello Christian!

Could you please clarify what you mean been by "I would like to select only two options in a Color By selection for a specific visual" - what does "select" mean to you in this context? What does the end result look like? Is that particular plot filtered to only show data for the red (TFC Disabled) and Green (TFC Steering on Bottom) values, while other plots show all the data, or are you maybe trying to reduce the coloring options to Red and Green and everything else is merged into some "Other" category? For now, I'll assume it's the former - about filtering in some way - and provide some suggestions below.  

See example below (using Sample data from Snowflake, in-database):

SnowflakeFilter2.thumb.PNG.a8d01acafecf6a4b1cfe51c1887f124c.PNG 

#1 The plot on top is configured to show all data, ignoring any filtering:

Right-click on the plot > Properties > Data > Limit data using filterings - unchecked all

#2 The plot in the middle uses "Limit by Expression", i.e. I wrote an expression that determines what is displayed in the plot. In this case, for the size ([i_SIZE]) column I'm coloring by, I want to show the "large" or "economy" sizes.

To do that, right-click on the plot > Properties > Data > Limit by Expression:

[i_SIZE] in ("large", "economy")

Note: like in the first one, I disabled filtering so you can see what each solution does.  

#3 The third plot simply uses filtering:

Right-click on the plot > Properties > Data > Limit data using filterings: in this case I checked "Use the current filtering from the page"). As this is the only plot using filtering, it's the only one affected by the filter for the I_SIZE column, where I selected "extra large", "large", medium".

You could also use Filtering Schemes for more fine-grained control over the filtering. For more information on that, see https://docs.tibco.com/pub/sfire-analyst/12.5.0/doc/html/en-US/TIB_sfire-analyst_UsersGuide/filter/filter_filtering_schemes.htm?rhhlterm=filtering%20scheme&rhsyns=%20