SQL Server Stored Procedure Query time out when run from Spotfire

Priyank Dwivedi

Hi,

I am running a SQL server stored procedure via IronPython. It seems to work and retrieve data in Spotfire if the number of wells is low. For a large number of wells (~150), the query result is around 2M rows if I run it on SQL management studio but every time if I try to run it from Spotfire, it gives a time-out error!

How do we fix this? This is quite critical for us.

Does Spotfire have a default time-out connection timer?

Error:

Could not execute script 'GrossRollUp_Proc': Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.  at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.Scripting.ScriptService.Execute(ScriptDefinition script, Dictionary`2 scope, InternalLibraryManager internalLibraryManager, NotificationService notificationService) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.Scripting.ScriptManager.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<ExecuteScript>b__0() at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Commands.CommandHistory.Transaction(Executor executor, Boolean visible, Boolean sticky, Guid stickyGuid, Boolean isHighlight) at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Commands.CommandHistory.Transaction(String displayName, Executor executor) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.Scripting.ManagedScript.Execute(Dictionary`2 environment) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.HtmlTextAreaControls.ActionControl.ModifyCore(Object value) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.Visuals.HtmlTextArea.InteractWithControl(String id, Action`1 interaction)

Hello,

That error - "Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding." - does not look like an error coming from Spotfire but rather SQL Server so I recommend referring to SQL Server documentation for how to handle that. Googling for https://www.google.com/search?q=%22execution+timeout+expired%22+sql+server, one of the first hits - https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/knowledgebase/2878/How-to-Increase-the-MS-SQL-Remote-Query-Timeout.html - suggested increasing the Remote Query Timeout in SQL Server.

If you need further assistance from the Spotfire-side, considering that you stated "This is quite critical for us." I recommend opening a support case (and if doing that, please include your IronPython script so the Support team can see how you are connecting to SQL Server)