Issues connecting excel from sharepoint

Francisco Aspillaga

Hi,

I have a visualization connected to an excel file stored in sharepoint. Several times it has already happened that when trying to open the visualization the following error appears.

image.png.4eaabf594394d3b5eafe5967b1462db2.pngThe error details are:

Data.AsyncImport.LoadableEntity.CacheableSourceLoadableEntity`1.<GetPromptRequests>d__22.MoveNext()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.AsyncImport.DataTablesLoader.<PerformInitialPrompting>d__7.MoveNext()

ImportException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data:ImportException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data:

Failed to execute data source query for data source "SharePoint File". (HRESULT: 80131500)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.<GetPromptModels>d__43.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.AsyncImport.LoadableEntity.SourceColumnProducerLoadableEntity.<GetPromptRequestsCore>d__7.MoveNext()

at Spotfire.Dxp.

Failed to execute data source query for data source "tfdxajiq52t.dip - Data Base". (HRESULT: 80131500)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSource.Connect(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, DataSourcePromptMode promptMode, Boolean updateInternalState, DataLoadSettings loadSettings)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSource.Connect(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, DataSourcePromptMode promptMode)

at Core.Common.Spotfire.DataSource.SharePointDataSourceBase.ConfigureDataSourceConnection(SharePointDataSourceConnectionBase connection)

at Core.Common.Spotfire.DataSource.SharePointDataSourceBase.<GetPromptModels>d__31.MoveNext()

ImportException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data:

Unexpected xml tag. (HRESULT: 80131500)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.OutOfProcessDataSourceConnection.TryExecute(Action f)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.OutOfProcessDataSourceConnection.TryExecute[T](Func`1 f)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.OutOfProcessDataSourceConnection.<GetPromptModelsCore>d__13.MoveNext()

XmlException at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Base:

Unexpected xml tag. (HRESULT: 80131940)

Stack Trace:

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlReaders.Excel2007Parser.ParseExternalWorkbook(XmlReader reader, RelationCollection relations)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlSerialization.FileDataHolder.ParseExternalLink(String relationId)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlReaders.Excel2007Parser.ParseExternalLinksWorkbookPart(XmlReader reader)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlReaders.Excel2007Parser.ParseWorkbook(XmlReader reader, RelationCollection relations, FileDataHolder holder, String bookPath, Stream streamStart, Stream streamEnd, List`1& lstBookViews, Stream functionGroups)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlSerialization.FileDataHolder.ParseWorkbook(List`1& themeColors)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.XmlSerialization.FileDataHolder.ParseDocument(List`1& themeColors)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.ApplicationImpl.CreateWorkbook(Object parent, Stream stream, ExcelVersion version, ExcelParseOptions options)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.Collections.WorkbooksCollection.Open(Stream stream, ExcelVersion version, ExcelParseOptions options)

en Syncfusion.XlsIO.Implementation.Collections.WorkbooksCollection.Open(Stream stream, ExcelOpenType openType)

en Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.Excel2DataSourceSettings.<OpenWorkbook>d__63`1.MoveNext()

en Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.Excel2DataSourceSettings.<UpdateExcelReferences>d__62`1.MoveNext()

en Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.Excel2FileDataSource.<GetPromptModels>d__19`1.MoveNext()

en Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.DataSourceOutOfProcessConnection.CallbackConnection.<GetPromptModelsCore>d__4.MoveNext()

en Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.OutOfProcessDataSourceConnection.SubprocessImpl..ctor(String[] args)

If I try to replace the file, it won't let me either. The excel file is not damaged, since I can open it and work without problems.

image.thumb.png.1d3143783cdd346ec7480a01c649cc3f.png 

Regards,

Hello,

To start with, just to confirm, as you wrote "Issues connecting excel from sharepoint", I assume you are using the Custom Connector for Sharepoint (https://community.spotfire.com/s/article/custom-connectors-tibco-spotfirer#MicrosoftSharePointOnlineFiles). Is that correct? 

If you are using the custom connector, what version? In general, I would recommend always being on the latest release (v20 now - available for download on https://community.spotfire.com/s/exchange/aCv4z000000srLnCAI/custom-connector-for-tibco-spotfire-to-read-file-data-from-ms-sharepoint-online - I can see that there has been quite a few releases of that connector)

>Several times it has already happened that when trying to open the visualization the following error appears.

But sometimes it does opens without issues?

>The excel file is not damaged, since I can open it and work without problems.

Can you open it directly (not via the connector/from Sharepoint, but from disk) in Spotfire Analyst as well without problems?  

The error "XmlException at Syncfusion.XlsIO.Base: Unexpected xml tag" comes from Syncfusion, i.e. the third-party component that Spotfire uses to work with Excel files. I recently saw a similar issue (at least the symptoms were similar) when using xlsx files containing links to external workbooks, which we addressed in the hotfixes released on Feb 21, 2023 (e.g. for 12.0, see https://community.spotfire.com/s/article/List-of-hotfixes-for-TIBCO-Spotfire-Clients-Analyst-Web-Player-Consumer-Business-Author-and-Automation-Services#1200, hotfix HF-011, fix TS-71500) so it could be worth applying the latest fix. However, if your issue only occurs sometimes for the same Excel file, it's less likely to be related to this - then it seems more likely to be e.g. a connection/download issue of some kind that results in Spotfire trying to open an incomplete/broken Excel file).