Job builder task of Spotfire Automation Services to perform a Spotfire data refresh

Pasquale Massimo Scorca

Hello,

You can explore the "Scheduled Updates" functionality for scheduling of reports.

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/spotfire_server/latest/doc/html/TIB_sfire_server_tsas_admin_help/server/topics/scheduled_updates_to_analyses.html

Various Caching options in TIBCO Spotfire

https://support.tibco.com/s/article/Various-Caching-options-in-TIBCO-Spotfire

Hope this helps,

thanks

Hi Tejas, thanks for your reply.

I've explored the "Scheduled Updates" feature and in particular I've followed this article

Creating scheduled updates by using Spotfire Server (tibco.com)

but unsuccessfully.

The Scheduled Updates execution has returned this error message: Not logged into the external connection.

I've tried to verify the permissions related to the scheduledupdates@SPOTFIRESYSTEM account, but inside

the Library administration tool of Spotfire Analyst I cannot view and change any permissions.

I remember that the Spotfire report read data from a TIBCO Data Virtualization model.

Any suggests to me in order to solve this issue, please? Many thanks

Hi Pasquale,

The reason you are getting the error is that the user is prompted to log into the data source (tdv). As automation services is not using the prompt. The way to work around this is to go the the settings of the datasource in the analysis and to credentials en then choose the option ("No, but save the credentials profile (may be used when opening in spotfire web clients running TIBCO automation services jobs)"). Then in the automation services job builder, before opening the DXP add the task "Set credentials for external connections" and use the same credentials profile you just created. Then it should load without any issues when executing the task locally or on the server.

Hi Steven,

for now I've saved the credentials with the connection data source, also if this option isn't more sure.

datasourcesettings.png.e7195eb21784a8cc1249e0d623c55807.pngI'm using the Scheduled Updates feature of Spotfire Server in order to run a data refresh and deliver to the users an updated report on weekly basis. I'm learning about Spotfire and I don't know how using the Automation Services to perform a data refresh for a report. Any suggests to me? Thanks

Hi,

The difference is that now all users of the dashboard will use the same credentials when going to that dashboard, while the other option would allow the users of the dashboard to connect to TDV with their own credentials and automation services to use a profile users. This would only be relevant if you would like to have row or column based security policies to be applied based on the users role or group.

Hi Pasquale,

It depends a little on your setup. From your question I gather that the data is loaded as soon as the report is opened. Therefore the user needs to log in to TDV. If that is the case the data is loaded and refreshed each time the report is opened.

If this is too slow you could either cache the data in TDV to make it faster, or you could eg. preload the data into the memory of the webplayer server (scheduled update).

Can you explain a little more about where the data is stored that you would like to refresh?

Hi Steven,

I want that a data refresh occurs in a batch manner, on weekly basis, out of the working hours.

When an user logins to the Spotfire report he has to specify user and password to open and examine the report and not to load any data. For now, I don't want a real-time data refresh.

For these reasons, I think to implement a Scheduled Updates mechanism using the related feature of Spotfire Server.

I hope to use the right feature, because I'm learning Spotfire.

I hope that with the Scheduled Updates I could to implement a secure login to the TDV data model, using the same login to access the report.

Many thanks

Hello Pasquale,

Do you use a In-built Connector or Information link to pull in data from TDV ? What is the authentication method on the data source and Spotfire server? You may also raise a Support Ticket and elaborate your scenario(authentication methods used, data sources , use case, etc) for more suggestions/steps on SU and your data source setup or any issues you may face.

https://support.tibco.com/

thanks,