Calculating the average TVD once a wellbore hits 80 degrees inclination to TD

John Brand

I'm trying to calculate the average TVD once a wellbore hits 80 degrees inclinationall the way to total depth (maximum measured depth) for eachwell. In other words, calculate the average TVDfor the rows in bold textover each well ID.

Measured Depth

Inclination

True Vertical Depth

Well ID

Measured Depth

Inclination

True Vertical Depth

Well ID

A

A

A

A

A

A

B

B

B

B

B

B

Let's first check for each well if you reached at least 80. I do this by checking the max. value of all the previous rows. Only if this condition is met I calculate the avg. TVD per well. Otherwise it returns NULL.

If(Max([inclination]) OVER Intersect([Well ID],AllPrevious([Measured Depth])) >= 80,Avg([True Vertical Depth]) OVER [Well ID])

PS:It's an advantage that your data table is already in the right order. Otherwise you would have to use a rank function to get it into the right order and to get the AllPrevious() work correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

So my actual dataset is not sorted by Well ID & MD like my sample data is.  I did calculate a new column ranking MD over Well ID.  Where would this ranked MD column be incorporated into the expression that you provided  Would I replace [Measured Depth] with [Ranked Measured Depth]

Thank you.

Sorry, my comment regarding the order/rank and AllPrevious() function was incorrect in this case. You don't have to worry about that. AllPrevious() will work fine with your [Measured Depth] column as you only drill down deeper (1000,2000,3000,...). Otherwise you would replace it with your anked column, yes.