Dynamic Average Line

J Gre

I'm trying to use to show the average production between wells on a line chart. I tried using 'Avg([Production]) over ([x])' but I get an error saying the expression is not valid. I'd like to be able to use a filter to show only some of the wells and the average line change automatically. Build version of Spotfire is 10.10.3.3 if that helps.

My data table:

Well

Date

Production

A

Jan 1

A

Jan 2

A

Jan 3

A

Jan 4

B

Jan 1

B

Jan 2

B

Jan 3

B

Jan 4

C

Jan 1

C

Jan 2

C

Jan 3

C

Jan 4

Okay, I see... The problem here is that you use the "color by" option to draw lines for each well. And this will mess up  your plot when you additionally use Avg([Production])  on the y-axis. Because this would be split as well...

One workaround would be to pivot your data to get a tidy dataset. Then each well has it's production data in a single column. You can do this with a transformation on your original data table. Then build a new line chart/scatterplot and put well A,B,C on the Y axis and additinolly some expression to get the average. Something like Sum([A],,[,C]) /  Count([A],,[,C])

But this makes filtering very hard because you would need to adjust the expression on the axis.

You could also work with a data function that takes your filtered original data tables as input and that returns this filtered table as a new data table. A calculated column in this table would  be dynamic in the sense that it reacts to your filtering in the source table...

I really can't come to a simple satisfying solution at the moment. Sorry. Let's see if other members can help.