How to display grand total from Cross Table into a Text Area

Charles Wong 2

Hello All,

Fairly new to Spotfire, but I am having trouble figuring out anexpression to display an aggregated grand total of my data set.

In the attached spreadsheet, I have my data set in the table on the left. Within Spotfire, I was able to createthe cross table on the right, using an avg aggregation on the Type Well column. Spotfire also let's me display the grand total of the aggregation, using the Properties --> Totals --> Sum of Cell Values selection. The cell highlighted in yellow is the desired result that is produced.

Is there a way that I can replicatethe grand total result (aggregation included) in a custom expression Given I'm still very green with Spotfire, I seem to get the total sum of all the data (non-aggregated) whenever I try to create a grand total expression in a text area but I'd like to get the result that is highlighted in yellow.

Hopefully the question is clear.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Charles

Have you tried to use the pivot transformation and use the pivoted table as a help table for your calculation In your example you would just need to involve the columns you need (see screenshot). Based on this help table it is pretty straight forward to build the custom expression in the text area (just sum) and the table is linked to the original one (it remains interactive with markings and filters).