Joining data on columns

Ajay Dham

Hi All, First off thank you for the support in advance.

Spotfire Version: 10

I am completely new to Spotfire and recently installed it roughly 1 week back. I'm playing around with it as I get time, but I'm struggling with the joining datasets. Like any database, I have many tables and relationships between them. To keep it simple for discussion purposes here, I have 1 table with a list of cities; this cities tables has a primary key and a value for city; so it looks something like this:

1 Chicago

2 New York

3 etc...

In the above, 1-2-3 is the primary key and values are the name of cities. Now in another table, I use a foreign key to the cities table. This other table, lets call it addresses with the following columns:

Address_line

city_fk

state

zip

and so on...

I am just trying to do something simple (I think) where I create a table with all the addresses, and I have, but I want to populate the city_fk with the actual value of the city and NOT the foriegn key value. I am sure this is something simple, but as someone totally new to Spotfire, I am having some trouble.

Thank you,

AD

Go to INSERT -> COLUMNS....

Add columns to data data: 'your other table'

Add columns from: 'your cities table'

Click NEXT

Now make shure that you merge the data on your key column. So mark your city_fk on the left and your key column on the right.Click MATCH SELECTED and then move on with next.

Now pick the columns from 'your cities table' that you would like to import to 'your other table' and choose your join method. 'Left outer' will do the job for your. Then FINISH

The imported column will appear as last column in your table. It will be connected to it's origin table. So if this updates your column will update as well.

Another hint: You can also build relationships between tables. Which can be really helpful when exploring data.