how to deal with variables created withing spotfire with a () suffix

gopal rajagopal

Hi Guys

I am new. relatively speaking,to Spotfire. I am using v10.x.In some of my 'long' data transformations as specified in through the data canvas interface,

especially when pivoting is involved (it seems), somehow I find 'extraneous'columnswith a '(2)' or even '(3)'suffix..

For example, if I have acolumn 'race' in my input data,afterSpotfire processes it, I have anothercolumn in the data called 'race(2)'.

I am not sure why this happening.Kindlygive me feedback on howI can avoid this.

Thank you

Regards

Gopal

What do you use as column naming pattern It seems that you don't have distinct names.

If you use for example %M(%V) %C this shouldn't happen, but if you only use %M(%V) the name of each column will not be distinct. Here %M is a shortkey for your aggregation. So it will result in Sum, Avg, Median, Min, Max or whatever. %V is the shortkey for your value column and %C is the shortkey of your name column (<- the one you spread).

You can use the shortkeys for your own pattern. I don't want to suggest this, but basically you could type: This is the %M number of %V for %C.

And it would result in column names like: This is the Avg number of days for week 1, This is the Avg number of days for week 2, This is the Avg number of days for week 3, .... 

What do you use as column naming pattern It seems that you don't have distinct names.

If you use for example %M(%V) %C this shouldn't happen, but if you only use%M(%V) the name of each column will not be distinct. Here %M is a shortkey for your aggregation. So it will result in Sum, Avg, Median, Min, Max or whatever. %V is the shortkey for your value column and %C is the shortkey of your name column (