Time & Date Functions not working in Web-Player Stored Data Report

Michiel van Schijndel

I have a calculated column in my report that is making use of a date function. Basically I have records in my table that have a registration date, and I'm using a calculated column that compares today's date with the registration data to indicate if something happened in the past or is actually planned for the future.

The table & report seem to work fine in the Spotfire Client. However when I release the report as a report in the Spotfire library, as stored data, all the functions/columns relating above mentioned time/date formula become empty. I'm using the DateTimeNow() formula as a basis for the report, and I'm guessing that's causing the issue. I'm however not sure whether this issue is being caused by a stored data report not being able use "DateTimeNow()" in the report vs a live-connection report, or whether this is an issue of the Spotfire Client vs Spotfire WebPlayer

Does anyone know if that's the case, and/or if the problem would be solved if I would release the report as linked data Or is this something that's generally a problem in the WebPlayer vs the Client

Thanks in advance,

what happens when you add the Registration date and the datetimenow() to the table. Does that show on the webplayer when you store / embed the data

You might need to some debugging. It should display the calculated values even though the data is stored / embedded. Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

John

The problem is that there is no error/bug message so there is also nothing to debug. I did some further investigation, and the problem seems to be in this exact calculated column.

I have 1 Period column that is coming from the data itself in the format "2020-001", "2020-002", "2020-003", etc.

I use that column to define the last day of each period, as per below:

Column Name: Last day of period (screenshots of the data table are in main post)

Date(If(right([Period],2)="01",Concatenate("31-01-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="02",Concatenate("28-02-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="03",Concatenate("31-03-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="04",Concatenate("30-04-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="05",Concatenate("31-05-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="06",Concatenate("30-06-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="07",Concatenate("31-07-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="08",Concatenate("31-08-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="09",Concatenate("30-09-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="10",Concatenate("31-10-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="11",Concatenate("30-11-",left([Period],4)),If(right([Period],2)="12",Concatenate("31-12-",left([Period],4)))))))))))))))

In short: The formula looks at the end of the Period field (e.g. 2020-001) and then defines which month that is, and then basically concatenates "Last day of month + month + year" to form a date and then transforms the property of that field also directly into a date format.

This formula is working fine as a calculated column in the Spotfire Client. However as soon as I release it to the Webplayer as a stored data report, this column returns empty.

It seems so weird to me because I have tried to add a calculated column simply as DateTimeNow() in the report just to test if that works and that's not giving a problem at all. Above mentioned formula works in the Client, and all I do is release the report to the Webplayer (as stored data) and it suddenly stops working. I don't have a bug/error message indiciating what's wrong, it just shows the column but without any values as in attached screenshot.

The weird thing is that if I remove the Date() part of the formula (so that I make the concatenate as a text string) then it is working fine. Somehow the Date() part seems to cause a problem when I release the report as stored data.

I would continue as a text string, however since I'm using the outcome of that formula as a reference to compare that date between the current date, I have to have the field as a Date Field since I can't calculate based on a text string field...

Also I found that if I go to the calculated column menu and keep the formula as a date formula but press "Freeze Column" on the settings, it seems to work. I have no idea however why that is, and if I'm hampering any data/reload options if I keep this function active. Does anyone know

Anyone

I narrowed it down to this exact formula that is somehow causing a problem in WebPlayer vs Spotfire Client:

I have a column that is called "Last day of period", it's a calculated column thatbasically takes a month value from another column and calculates the last day of that month and returns it as a text string. So example output would be 31-01-2020, 29-02-2020, etc.

In order to do calculations with above formula I have another calculated column that simply makes a data of the column, so the formula is:

Date([Last day of Period])

Literally all it does it change the string format of that column to a date column.

That column, works fine in the Spotfire Client, with linked data. As soon as I release the report however as stored data in the WebPlayer, the column just returns empty..... So any other column that refers to that column also returns empty. I get no error or debug message whatsoever.