Limit chart by its own marking not working

Mark Herrmann

Hi there,

according to the documentation from 10.8 onwards it should be possible to set-up charts to be limited by their own marking. You can find a nice explanation how it is configured on youtube and it is not really difficult. So I was trying to set this up after we had upgraded from 10.3 to 10.9 and it simply does not seem to be working for me.

Any chart (I've tested map, scatter and bar) behaves the same when I use the configuration according to the screen shot below: I mark data and nothing gets marked and consequently no data limiting happens.

Has anyone observed the same issue with 10.9 or can someone spot an incorrect set-up in my screenshot

Thanks, Mark

• 1 month later...
I have 10.8 and see the same thing.  When setting the marking to both the Marking and Limit by Marking, the visualization locks up (or disables the marking).  I have submitted this issue to support because the feature only works when you start a new dxp in 10.8 and not with any dxp that was created in a prior version.

I have 10.8 and see the same thing. When setting the marking to both the Marking and Limit by Marking, the visualization locks up (or disables the marking). I have submitted this issue to support because the feature only works when you start a new dxp in 10.8 and not with any dxp that was created in a prior version.

hector_martinez - Jun 25, 2020 - 3:40pm

This feature is by default enabled for new DXP files.

Since this changes thebehaviour of visualizations, the feature is by default disabled for already existing DXP files.

If you want to enable this behaviour in old DXP files, open the file using the Spotfire Analyst and go toFile->Document properties->General->Compatibility settings and there make sure that the check box "Enable 10.7 data limiting using marking" is unchecked.