Expression not working in Document Property.

Phil Price

I am working through the Micahel Phillips book and I have run into a problem. In chapter 6 there is an exercise to use drop down lists and document properties to control the Y axis on a scatter chart. The example requires the below two expression to be used in a Document Property.

I have ensured I have typed everything as per the book but I cannot get the chart to work. I suspect it might be something to do with the [Axis.X] as this is in red. When I use the sameexpressions directly as custom expressions in the Y Axis then they work fine but when the expressions are used in a document property and then have the Y Axis linked to the document property they do not work.

I know I am missing something I just dont know what.

Avg([One-Month Rate]) OVER (LastPeriods(${AggregationPeriod}, [Axis.X])) as [${AggregationPeriod}-Month Cumulative Average]

Sum([One-Month Rate]) OVER (LastPeriods(${AggregationPeriod}, [Axis.X])) as [${AggregationPeriod}-Month Cumulative Sum]

Your Y-axis custom expression is

$esc(${AverageCumulative})The ESC function is enclosing the document property value into square brackets [], which is making Spotfire to find that particular column that does not exist.Since the document property value is a custom expression and not the column name, you can directly use the belowin the Y-axis:

${AverageCumulative}