Spotfire library external file storage issue: Spotfire Server fails to start. ERROR: (Error creating bean with name 'informationModel' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]: Invocation of init method failed;)

Sumeeth Tewar

I am trying to externally save library on the file system with commands:

config config-library-external-data-storage --enabled=true --external-storage=FILE_SYSTEM --force

config config-library-external-file-storage --path=DEFAULT

config import-config -c "file system storage is being introduced."

But as soon as i do the above and restart spotfire server I get error as:

Spotfire Server fails to start. ERROR: (Error creating bean with name 'informationModel' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]: Invocation of init method failed;)

com.spotfire.server.ServerInitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException

From the support tibco site I found resolution as specified in this page:

https://support.tibco.com/s/article/Spotfire-Server-fails-to-start-ERROR-Error-creating-bean-with-name-informationModel-defined-in-ServletContext-resource-WEB-INF-applicationContext-xml-Invocation-of-init-method-failed

However, I tried with both resolutions mentioned, but do not work and I still get the same error.

once I turn off the external storage, the server is fine back again!

Are you able to start it with startup.bat file Run the batch file(<spotfire server install path>tomcatbinstartup.bat).

Instead of using --force parameter, can you try to empty the library first The prescribed procedure for switching is to export the entire library, empty the library (delete all the elements from Library Administrator), change the configuration, and then import the library.

What is the stack trace you see in server and catalina logs (..tomcatlogs)

I enabled debug logs on the server, but its the same stacktrace nothing more,  it is exactly the same stacktrace as given in the link I have attached with the question.

I am using windows service for spotfire server to start/restart server. what is the difference in using startup.bat