How to add calculated columns with IronPython Row by Row

Tze Yik Lim

I can find some online resource how to add calculated column with IronPython with expression like example below.

from Spotfire.Dxp.Data import CalculatedColumn

cols = Document.Data.Tables["TIBER"].Columns

cols.AddCalculatedColumn("NEWCOLUMN","[oldcolumn] * 3.289");But my situation is slightly different. I need different expression for different row. I had columns name "Site" & "device". I already sort the "device" & "Site"column ascending. I need to calculate new columns "Bunch" based on data from column "Site" & "device". The algorithm would be loop row by row for column "Site", check "Site" n+1 & n. If "Site" n+1 < "Site" n, then bunch+1. Can anyone advise how i can achieve this

Site

device

Bunch

Hi tyger, 

Thanks for fast response. Here is my algorithm. I think your last python code will rewrite another new data table which is not my intention. I want to create a new column with original data table. 

1. First sort the table by device first, site second by ascending order (Must do - done by original code)

2. Check column "site" row by row in that sequence. If the next "site" value < current "site" value, then new calculate column "Bunch" need to increment by 1. First group of "Bunch" number start from 1. So, if the 1st next "site" value < current "site" value, the "Bunch" will be 2 and so on. 

There is a method to create a temporary table with the function results then join it back to your orginal table (you cannot add or update values in data table)

You can find those suggestions here:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34068783/spotfire-add-column-from-python-list

The method I purposed to create a new data table is attached here. I suggest creating the new table and use the new table in your visuals and analysis. Treating the python script as a transformation and only being concerned that you got your resulting data table.

hi tyger, 

Thanks for your example. The original algorithm given to you still not fully correct. I change a little bit. I did work on your dxp file. But when i try on my dxp file, it still not correct. I guess it is due to my original data table is not sort correctly even i use the visualization. Can you please further advise I think i am very close to solution. attached my dxp file.