Trouble creating calculated column

Vipin K

Hi,

I am having following issue while trying to create a calculated column.

I have a column (lets say 100 rows) which has only two values either "Y" & "N". When I create a pivot in excel, I can add this column to "Column labels" and I will get 3 columns - "Y", "N" and "Grand Total". From here, I can do calculation like Grand total/Y or Grand Total/N. But I can do this in Spotfire.

Can I do a calculation like this in Spotfire or is there a way I can split the column and then do a calculation Please check the screenshot for reference.

• 3 months later...

You can setup similar way in spotfire cross table. In excel as well doing pivot would not get you this format using only single column having values Y or N. You might have used other column as well

Use the same column in spotfire cross table as well.

Provide sample dxp if you are still struggling with this requirement

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I am doing this in excel for a long time so it works. But, in spotfire the issue is little bit different. Let me explain.

After I have created a cross table in spotfire, I have two columns. But, when I try to add a calculated column using the newly created columns, they don't appear in the expression window.

Please check attached screenshots. Table shows how the value is appearing in the table visualization. Ontime & Failure will appear on the same column.

Second image shows how it appears in cross table.

If you want them to be in same column, use custom expression in cell values. You have placed that calculated column in horizontal axes on top so two separate columns are seen.

You can provide the sample dxp which would make it more clear, what are you trying to achieve and where you do not see created columns (But, when I try to add a calculated column using the newly created columns, they don't appear in the expression window. ). Because based on previous excel screenshots provided, i got that you needed two separate columns in cross tables instead of one column in cross table.