I cannot seem to get a valid custom expression containing a column name stored in a Document Property to work for the error bars on my bar chart.

JP Lee

Using the v4.0.3 client.

I cannot seem to get a valid custom expression containing a column name stored in a Document Property to work for the error bars on my bar chart.

The document property is a column name (String). I rt-click on the column for the error bar, and select Custom Expression. In the Custom Expression builder, I (naively) create the following:

StdDev ( DocumentProperty("ColumnName" )

I try to "enclose" it in ${ and }, but no luck there either. I try using [ and ], but nope. I try both together, and still no luck.It seems like in the Error Bar dialog, that custom expressions containing Document Properties do not return the text string.

Anyone know how to make this work

thx,

JP

Thanks, but I did try that, without success:

StdDev ( [${DocumentProperty("ColumnName")}] )

The resulting expression is undefined - in the Custom Expression dialog:

StdDev([undefined])

I think there's something about the DocumentProperty() insert that does not work in this case / context.

When I strip out the DocumentProperty() wrapper, meaning I make the Expression:

StdDev ( [${ColumnName}] )

The resulting expression in the dialog is correct, but I then get an error box stating "Preprocessor syntax is not supported". That's a big help.

So, any other advice greatly appreciated!

JP

• 1 year later...

No dedicated "ColumnName" property - I added one for my dynamic column name. That part works fine. If I hardcode a column name (so it does not change with markings), the StdDev computes fine. I sent this example along to TIBCO support, and it is indeed a defect, and they added me to the "list". So maybe someday it gets fixed. Not holding my breath. Scripted my way around it. Thanks for the suggestions.

JP

• 3 years later...
Although this is a very old issue, I encountered the same thing today using Spotfire 7.8. The problem appears to be that the error bar widget doesn't allow "preprocessor" syntax in custom expressions. In order to get around this, I ended up creating a calculated column based on the column name stored in my column drop down menu. I was then able to use the calculatedcolumn in the custom expression for my error bars. The calculated column updates itself whenever you change the associated propertyin the drop down menu.

• 6 months later...