Custom Expression - Function as Argument

Rory Gallagher

Hi,

I am new to Spotfire and trying to make some headway with the custom expression fields to bin a histogram for a Axis which is selected by a column property drop down. Spotfire seems to allow autobinning if an axis is not set from a property, but this nice feature goes away when it is fed from a property :(

As the autobin option is gone, I want to use FD selection criteria for the number of bins, by putting this into a custom expression* using the Autobinnumeric() function, I was building this up from a simple expression with a fixed number of bins which worked to then trying to calculate this criteria which threw an error.See examples of custom expressions below:

1)AutoBinNumeric($esc(${CQASelect}),10)

=> Worked without issue to bin historgram

2)AutoBinNumeric( $esc(${CQASelect}),(Round( ( Max($esc(${CQASelect})) - Min($esc(${CQASelect})) ) / (2 * IQR($esc(${CQASelect})) * (count($esc(${CQASelect})) ^ (-1 / 3) ) ),0)))

=> Tried to implement FD selection, throws error: Invalid type for function call 'AutoBinNumeric' on line 1, charachter 1

I was thinking that I made a syntax error, so just tried to put in a very simple modification of the above function for the second argument to see if this would work, but this threw the same error:

3)AutoBinNumeric( $esc(${CQASelect}),(Round(10,0)) )

Is it possible to add formulas as arguments as attempted above. Any help on this, or the problem of binning histograms made from properties would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Rory