Filter and limit data by expression order

Mike DuBois

Im not using a calculated column as that would be the ranked values over the dataset.I have created a limit data expression on the visualization - to just show the top 5.Problem is when I use the filter panel the visualization is being limited to the top 5 that were calculated with no filters.I thought the order of data limiting should go like this:

Full Dataset -> Filter Panel -> Limit Data Expression in visualization. Looks like it is doing this:

Full Dataset -> limit Data Expression in Visualization -> Filter Panel.I want the top 5 shown in the visualization to always be based on the filtered data. I have a data table visualization under my cross table that I want the same filtering - since it is not a cross table I cant use the show/hide top 5. 

I don't think you can Limit data by using this expression, denserank desc <6 beceause that is invalid expression. You have to pass a column to the DenseRank to function correctly e.g DenseRank ([Colx]), "desc"

You need to create a calculated DenseRank column. Use that column to limit data in Limit Data Expression for both the Cross Table and Data Table.

I am shorthanding the expression because I am using my phone, but yes you can limit the data with an expression like this:

If(DenseRank ([Colx]), "desc") over ([Coly]) <6, true, false)

so... data is limited to the visualization, the filter panel seems to be applied after the limit data expression.