Nevigate to the previous page

Rouzi Bai

Hi everyone,

I have aspotfiredashboard with over 60 pages, and each page has a "employee details" button that will bring the user to see the employee details after marking. However, people always get lost and forget which page they were at before. Is there a way to always bring the users to where they were at I know how to insert action control to bring people back to a specific page, but in this case, people can be at different pages, should I use JavaScript in the text area for this situation

Please let me know your thoughts!

Great thanks,

Rosie

You can change the page navigation to "history arrows" (Edit > Document Properties > General > Page navigation). Pressing "back" will take you back through the history of your pages.

If you are creating buttons in IronPython to navigate through the document then when you go to a new page you can write the "origin" page number to a document property. A button can be added on each page saying, "go back" and that will navigate to the page number that you were last on. This solution will only work for going back one step though. I've drafted some IronPython below, it may need some tweaking.

#THIS IS THE BUTTON THAT WILL NAVIGATE TO YOUR NEXT PAGE

#Record this current page in an integer document property called "LAST_PAGE"

Document.Properties["LAST_PAGE"] = Document.Pages.IndexOf(Document.ActivePageReference)

#Navigate to new page (this will take you to the second page)

Document.ActivePageReference = Document.Pages[1]#THIS IS THE BUTTON THAT WILL NAVIGATE BACK TO THE PREVIOUS PAGE

#Save the document with LAST_PAGE document property = -1 so that you can identify when the page has not changed

lastPage = Document.Properties["LAST_PAGE"]

if lastPage -1:

#navigate to last page

Document.ActivePageReference = Document.Pages[lastPage]

#update last page back to initial state (= -1) so that the button will not do anything once you've gone back

lastPage = -1

In that case, you need to build buttons to navigate between pages and also leave the History arrows exposed at the top of the analysis. You can either create the buttons through IronPython, as detailed in my previous reply, or use the built in Actions in Spotfire (details below):

In text area: Right click > Edit text area

Insert Action Control (button with the exclamation mark on it)

Actions > Pages and Visualizations > choose the page to which you want that button to take you

Users can then use the navigation buttons you created to go "forward" and the history arrows to return.