External component has thrown an exception. (HRESULT: 80004005)

Sumit Negi

Hi Experts,

I have mergeddata from 3 excel files, embedded the data and saved the report as .dxp on my laptop. When I am opening the dxp again it is giving me below error. I am currently using Spotfire 6.0. Did anyone know the cause of this error and how to fix this Many thanks in advance!

Error message:

InvalidOperationException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx:

SafeExecute failed. (HRESULT: 80131509)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx.CxxColumnManager.ReadTableFromZip(String filePath, Boolean keepIds, String entry, UpdateProgress updateProgress)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.PersistentDataTable2.c__DisplayClass2.b__0()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.Progress.ExecuteSubtask(String title, Int64 totalSteps, DeterminateProgressFormatter progressFormatter, ProgressSpeedFormatter speedFormatter, ProgressOperation operation)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.PersistentDataTable2.GetProducerResult(CxxSession session)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.PersistentDataContainer.RestoreData(DataPool dataPool, String sectionKey, PersistenceManager persistenceManager, DataManager dataManager)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataManager.c__DisplayClass16.b__14()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.Progress.ExecuteSubtask(String title, ProgressOperation operation)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataManager.LoadEmbeddedData(PersistentDataContainer persistentDataContainer, DataPool dataPool, PersistenceManager persistenceManager)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.PartiallyOpenedDxpFile..ctor(DxpFileReadResult dxpFileReadResult, DataPool dataPool, PersistenceManager persistenceManager, DocumentLocation documentOrigin)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.AnalysisApplication.OpenDxpReadResult(DxpFileReadResult dxpFileReadResult, DocumentLocation documentOrigin, DocumentOpenSettings documentOpenSettings)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.AnalysisApplication.d__f.MoveNext()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsApplicationThread.c__DisplayClass5.b__4()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsProgressService.ProgressThread.DoOperationLoop()

SEHException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx:

External component has thrown an exception. (HRESULT: 80004005)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx.Internal.NativeMethods64.NativeMethods.ColumnManagerReadTableFromZip_(IntPtr session, IntPtr file, Boolean keepIds, String entry)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx.Internal.NativeMethods64.c__DisplayClassdb.b__da()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Cxx.Internal.Helper.SafeExecute[T](Func`1 nativeD

Hello,

Inaddition to what Stefan Hansen wrote, the first thing you should do to reduce the risk of future such issues is to upgrade to one of the latest versions of Spotfire (such as 7.11 LTS or the latest mainstream version which is currently 7.12 (see https://docs.tibco.com/pub/spotfire/general/LTS/spotfire_LTS_releases.htm for information about the differences between those)) , which all have increased protection against this type of issues, compared to the old 6.0 version that you are using now.

Best Regards

Fredrik

• 6 months later...

Hello Chris,

As you are using version 7.11, note that the robustness improvements previously mentioned here were included in a hotfix (or actually two - one for the client (TIBCO Spotfire Analyst), and one for the server (TIBCO Spotfire Server)) for that release so I would recommend that you first confirm that you have hotfix HF-004 or higher for both. If you do, you should definitely open a support case, as has already been suggested.        

You can e.g. check the Analyst hotfix level from the Help menu > About dialog, and server hotfix level from Help menu > Support Diagnostics as illustrated below (note: for the server, you'll see the technical version number - make sure that this is 44.0.7605.3125 or higher)    

[[{"fid":"150906","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"Check Spotfire Hotfix version","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":false},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{"format":"default","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":"Check Spotfire Hotfix version","field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":false}},"attributes":{"alt":"Check Spotfire Hotfix version","class":"media-element file-default","data-delta":"1"}}]]

I just checked, here is what I have:TIBCO Spotfire Analyst 7.11.1 LTS HF-011

44.1.8023.5603I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing or if the dxp is just corrupted somehow. I can keep restoring an old version (had to again today) but the moment I either Save As or Save A Copy of the restored version, then close it, then try to open the newly saved dxp, the error throws. The same things also happens if I insert a simple calculated column and save over the restored version without changing the name. Is it possible for a dxp to be corrupted somehow I can't control the versions or updates to the software (big company so admins and DBA manage it). I really don't want to do this, but if it's possible the dxp is corrupted and can't be updated, would rebuilding from scratch and following the same transformations, calculated columns, inserts, TERR functions, be worth going through to see if it's resolved or would I likely end up with an error being thrown.Thank you for the help so far and for responding, I can't find anything meaninful while searching.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I received the same error on Spotfire 7.14 and I realised that I still had some data sources set to data on demand. Try:

File > Save As > File

and on the pop-up window check that all of the tables are set to "Stored data" and not "Always new data" or "On-demand".

Cheers,

Ben