Remove some columns as choices from an Axis Selector

astones
Go to solution Solved by barchiel33,

Hello!

I'm interested in being able to have the dashboard user be able to select which columns to show on e.g. category or value axes, or in pie charts.

Is it possible to have this option in `Viewing` mode (not just Editing), so they can select from a dropdown which columns they want to show? Finally, is it possible to limit the choice of columns for a particular axis to a pre-selected few that I can choose when building the dashboard?

Thank you!

Adam

• Solution

Hello @astones!

Yep, this is entirely possible! What you'll need to do is:

1. Add a text area visualization to whichever page you want to do this on
  2. Add a drop down property control in the text area
    1. Add a document property using the New button which will hold the user's selected column
    2. Use column selection to populate the drop down list
    3. In the column selection interface, click "Select Columns"
    4. Move whichever columns you want to be available to the user into the rightmost column
  3. In the visualization that you want to reflect this change, right click on whichever access you want to use the selected column for
    1. Click Set from property and select the document property from step 3
  4. Done! When the user selects a value in the drop down, the chart will update to reflect the change.

image.thumb.png.3eb23c59f3de5c88b28b489fdf3c95aa.png

image.thumb.png.d3114d63984a06c43ba56d0472311e95.png

• Like 3

Hi,

Yes that would be possible, both cases actually.

Edit: I see that @barchiel33 already answered the first question. As we were typing in a solution at the same time, my first solution is exactly like the one above. But I'll leave it here for being complete in my answer. The second question is answered at the bottom of my reply.

For the first one, you can map your axis to a property. You right click on the axis column and select the 'set from property' option. You then select the property you want (in your case, a drop-down list):
image.thumb.png.b3748cc4b87022c02b823708036b6473.png

Notice my drop-down list on the left hand side, which is a property control:
image.png.0a07f5ab59dbe74e34fec3a9e406acca.png       image.thumb.png.2c17041ca12005882fae41a7352b8f02.png

Now, whenever I map my x axis to this property control, each time I select a different column, the bar chart will be updated accordingly:
image.thumb.png.981cafdb558c4fb080d84c48002dfb47.png

The second use case is also using properties, but instead of using a list of columns property, you define only those columns in a fixed list.
Notice the difference between the first and second option:
image.thumb.png.4283e4aa9c9ec67f16d35a39214b40e8.png

The drop-down list property control, looks like this now:
image.thumb.png.0b6642eeb1ebf01dffdaece9faf9bb80.png

Kind regards,

David

• Like 1

@David Boot-Olazabal There's actually a difference between our answers to the first question and my answer actually addresses both questions. The main difference is that I used the Select Columns feature which adds a boolean column property to the table. When this column property is True, the column is included as an option, whereas if it's false, then it's not shown. This makes it so you can just select the columns without having to manually type in the column names in the Fixed value method. There is a potential advantage of the fixed value method though, with it you can have the drop down show a different name than the actual column name. For example, if I had a column called "Time To Order Completion / # of Orders (Hrs)" I could use "Hrs / Order" as the display name and "Time To Order Completion / # of Orders (Hrs)" as the value.