url based on different column

Simon
Go to solution Solved by David Boot-Olazabal,

Hi,

I want to create a table with supply ID's and other information. I want the ID to be clickable and the url link to be to that part. The ID is not part of the url, but the url is stored in another column. The url contains another unique ID per part, so simply putting in the url won't fix the issue. Can I make it that it takes the value of another column?

Edited by Simon

Hi Simon,

Consider the below image.

In the example dataset I have, I created a 'link' renderer for the country column (boxes in red).
Via the settings, you can define the URL where it needs to go to:

image.png.49acec91f9450786a5998ab09d1d2903.png

Now if I understand you correctly, your challenge is that the ID column doesn't link to the url since the url uses a different ID. Is that correct?
If so, would it be ok to use that different (url) id to create the link with? I'm asking this, because the {$} placeholder uses the actual cell value to create the link for each ID.

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your response. What I'm looking for (in the screenshot that you provided) is that if you were to click Spain, the content of the link would be Europe.

The item that should be clickable, has the url link in another column. I tried to put in [PARTLINK] as a link, but that doesn't work.

Hope this explains what I mean :)

Edited by Simon

Hi Simon,

Also, note that the API allows you to create a Custom Value Renderer to implement all complex behaviors. 

More information here: https://docs.tibco.com/pub/doc_remote/sfire-analyst/14.4.0/doc/api/TIB_sfire-analyst_api/Index.aspx

with an example...

CustomValueRendererExample.cs

Edited by Olivier Keugue Tadaa

Hi Simon,

Olivier is trying to explain that it is possible to create a custom renderer for links, by using our API's. The link forwarded is the one for the general API namespaces within Spotfire.
If you are interested in this solution, here is the C# Extension page (look for Custom renderer):

I've also done a quick search to see if there is already an existing enhancement request for this. And we do: https://ideas.spotfire.com/ideas/SPF-I-4947 (meaning it can't be done now, out of the box).
The workaround provided in that enhancement request is probably may not be useful for you, since it's basically creating a link in a column (which you already have).

So your best bet would be to create a custom value renderer.

Kind regards,

David

• Solution

Hi Simon,

Typically, when you create a custom package, one of the files being created, as a .spk file. This is the package file that has all needed components to work in Spotfire.

The package can be uploaded into the Deployment & Packages area in the Admin console. Once you have then updated your Analyst client, you should be able to see it in one of the menu's (most likely under Tools). And then you can make use of it. As I haven't seen this one myself, I have no idea how the look and feel is. But I would be very interested to see it once you've got it to work.

Kind regards,

David

Hi Simon

The new custom value renderer will show up as an option in the screenshot below.

1 hour ago, David Boot-Olazabal said:

Hi Simon,

Consider the below image.

In the example dataset I have, I created a 'link' renderer for the country column (boxes in red).
Via the settings, you can define the URL where it needs to go to:

image.png.49acec91f9450786a5998ab09d1d2903.png

Now if I understand you correctly, your challenge is that the ID column doesn't link to the url since the url uses a different ID. Is that correct?
If so, would it be ok to use that different (url) id to create the link with? I'm asking this, because the {$} placeholder uses the actual cell value to create the link for each ID.

Kind regards,

David

Edited by Olivier Keugue Tadaa
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid that this task will be too much of a hassle due to company restrictions in scripting. It would look better to do it like this, but I think the way forward is going to be to add the link column and using that as the link.

Thanks anyway!

• Like 1