Fail to connect to Spotfire Web Client (same network)

Go to solution Solved by Informatics Consultant,

Hi all, 

I've installed Spotfire Server 14.1 on my computer (192.168.1.19) using ports

• Communication Port : 9443
  • Registration Port : 9080

I would connect to the Web client on the same WIFI with a second computer (192.168.21). 

The Spotfire Server is running. It does not work when I go to the URL from the PC 192.168.21. :

HTTP://192.168.1.19 

In addition, 

1. Firewalls are disabled on 2 PCs
  2. The ping is working in the command line for both
  3. Connection to port fails 
    Test-NetConnection -ComputerName 192.168.1.19 -Port 9080

Hi,

When you don't use the default port 80, your url should list the port (http://192.168.1.19:9080).

Since the connection on that port fails, there must be something else wrong.
Your setup, would look like this, right?

Server A (spotfire server)				Server B (web player server)
192.168.1.19 using ports 9080/9443			192.168.21 using ports?
no firewall						no firewall	

To be clear, could you share the server.xml and the nodemanager.properties file?
I feel like something maybe wrong with the ports.

The server.xml can be found in: C:\<spotfire installation folder>\spotfireserver\<version number>\tomcat\conf
The nodemanager.properties can be found in: C:\<spotfire installation folder>\nodemanager\<version number>\nm\config

Also, what does your server.log says?

Kind regards,

David

Hi,

The server.xml looks fine to me, but the nodemanager.properties is incomplete.
Consider the below comparison of yours and mine (also on 14.1):
image.thumb.png.2581afd46e105c77ffb0d37a3eee7b95.png

You miss the grey highlighted lines in your nodemanager.properties (I have used different ports for my nodemanager). Also, you mentioned that your server and node manager are on different machines. But it isn't reflected in the nodemanager.properties (this should be the line for nodemanager.host.names).

You can try to fill in the blanks and restart both Spotfire server and Nodemanager services. If that doesn't solve the issue, please check the server.log and nm.log (they are located in their respective log folders in the spotfireserver and nodemanager installation folders).

Kind regards,

David

Posted (edited)

David, 

The node manager is also installed on the PC A not on B

• Communication Port : 9444
  • Registration Port : 9081

At the end I want to connect on the web player and analyst from PC B 

Also, I have Node Manager in v12 is that an issue for Spotfire Server in v14 ? 

Do you know where can I find those 2 info ?

nodemanager.host.names=
nodemanager.bundle.version=
Edited by Informatics Consultant

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. You must upgrade the node manager to v14.1 as well, otherwise it will not work.

At the end of the installation of the node manager, please run the upgrade tool as well. That will fill in the 'blanks' for you in nodemanager.properties.

Once you have both in the same version, you should be able to connect properly to Spotfire Analyst and Web player from PC B.

Kind regards,

David

I tried this :

#Supervisor changed
#Thu Feb 29 12:03:21 CET 2024
server.backend.communication.port=9443
server.backend.registration.port=9080
nodemanager.registration.port=9081
server.name=ulirl522.revvity.com
nodemanager.supervisor.known=ulirl522.revvity.com\:9443-9080
nodemanager.host.names=192.168.1.19
nodemanager.bundle.version=68.8.14217.4634
nodemanager.communication.port=9444

Then,  I restarted both services and I went to HTTP://192.168.1.19:9080 but still not working

There is no log file in nm folder 

The server log is too heavy for being uploaded.. 

Hi,

Your set up looks good, all services are up and running.
You can connect to Spotfire Web client from the PC A, it's just that you can't connect to Spotfire from PC B.

What I normally do, is adding the (inbound) ports in the firewall of the PC A, but you mentioned that the firewalls are deactivated.
And a ping to 192.168.1.19 is working fine (so PC B sees PC A). As you use the default port 80, can you run the below command (from PC B)?

Test-NetConnection -ComputerName 192.168.1.19 -Port 80

And can you also execute a netstat command to see whether port 80 is in use on PC B?

netstat -na | find "80"

If you find port 80 in use, you may want to change to Spotfire port to 8080 for instance (in server.xml). Your url would then be a bit different, since it has to use that particular port: http://ulirl522.revvity.com:8080 (or use the ip address).

Kind regards,

David

Also, did you try to connect to PC A with only ip address? Or did you also try to use the server name?

Can you also try to start the Spotfire Analyst on PC B? It shouldn't connect to the Spotfire server on PC A, but I'm curious if you'll get an error and if that error is captured in the Analyst client log file (by default it should be in: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Spotfire\14.1\logs).

Kind regards,

David

Edited by David Boot-Olazabal

Posted (edited)

Tried to connect on Analyst Portable v14.0.1 PC B, I got this error message :

Error message: Could not connect to server 'http://192.168.1.19/' to download manifest.

ManifestWebException at Spotfire.Dxp.Services:
Could not connect to server 'http://192.168.1.19/' to download manifest. (HRESULT: 80131509)

Stack Trace:
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.ManifestReader.DownloadAndParse(ResponseCreator responseCreator, Action`1 metadataRequestAction)
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.ManifestReader.GetReader(Uri uri, ResponseCreator responseCreator, Action`1 metadataRequestAction, Boolean serveStaleIfValid)
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Login.LoginInfo.UpdateWithNewServerAndDownloadManifest(Uri serverUri)
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Loader.EditServerControl.OkButtonClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

WebException at System:
Le délai d'attente de l'opération a expiré. (HRESULT: 80131509)

Stack Trace:
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.Http.SpotfireRequest.ExecuteNonSpotfireServerRequestWithRetry(Func`1 requestCreator, RetryOptions retryOptions)
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.Http.SpotfireRequest.ExecuteSpotfireManifestRequestWithPromptForClientCertificate(Uri absoluteUri)
   at Spotfire.Dxp.Services.ManifestReader.DownloadAndParse(ResponseCreator responseCreator, Action`1 metadataRequestAction)

Hi,

So, connectivity to the PCA server on port 8080 shows a EDB Postgres server site.
Then you would think that the connection from PCB to PCA is fine. It's just that Spotfire can't be reached from PCB on port 80. Which is weird since it is up and running on PC A and you should be able to connect as you did for port 8080.

Can you also check the same EDB Postgres url on PC A? Just to confirm it's running on both pc's.

The error message from the Analyst client, mentions a time out in the connection, which is due to the inability to connect to Spotfire to download the manifest (needed for the handshake).
It's kind of guessing what could be the problem. I would suggest to make a change in the server.xml file, on PC A. Could you set the port number from 80 to 8888? And restart both Spotfire server and Node manager services once more?
Perhaps the default port 80 is blocking somehow the proper connection between the two PC's.

Kind regards,

David

Posted (edited)

Can you also check the same EDB Postgres url on PC A? Just to confirm it's running on both pc's.

I get the EDB Postgres message like on PC B

Could you set the port number from 80 to 8888? And restart both Spotfire server and Node manager services once more?

Now modified and restarted, I cannot even access on http://192.168.1.19 from PC A 

server.xml

Ohhhh, great news!

So, the ports needed to be added to the firewall after all.
That's what I normally always do, but since you had the firewall disabled, we wrongly thought it didn't matter anymore.

Great find and great it got solved in the end by adding ports to inbound/outbound firewall rules and using port 8888 for the Spotfire front end url.

Kind regards,

David