Spotfire Wellbore Mod Graphing Issues

Hello, 

I'm trying to utilize the new Wellbore Mod with my survey data and am having struggles with it. I've followed specifications as mentioned, but I still cannot get data to generate on the visual. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? 

Data Table: "Well Survey"

Group By: None (wasn't required)

Layer Type: "Trajectory" (This was a categorical column (String) that I added in that literally contains the word "Trajectory"... I have no data at this time for other types like perfs, plugs, etc)

MD: "Survey MD" (Number w/2 decimals) 

TVD: "Negative TVD" ((Number w/2 decimals) I have a regular TVD column, but the example values appeared to be negative so I created this as a Negative TVD column)

Diameter: "Diameter" (Number w/2 decimals)

Value: None (wasn't required)

Perf Start MD: None (wasn't required)

Perf End MD: None (wasn't required)

Color By: "Well Name" (String)

image.thumb.png.e95de6f9e994f5b57302dd85043ae45a.png

image.png

Edited by apreble
Removed a duplicated image

Hi @Glenn Hoskins

Thanks for the reply... my Trajectory column is just a string column that says "Trajectory" for all rows. It has no specific purpose other than labelling the survey rows as Trajectory. I have no other values for Trajectory. I also have the trellis by Well Name on, but still can't get a visual on that. I also only have 1 well selected at the moment and it responds on other visuals, but not this one. image.thumb.png.8a5997d25598884a72595dc14eba0c55.png 

Hi,

That looks OK to me. Another suggestion would be make sure that TVD <= MD but that appears to be the case with your data, so it isn't that. The negative TVD isn't required, it just converts it back to absolute value internally. Could I get you to access the developer tools console in Analyst... CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F12 (all at once), and then the Console tab, and send that as a screenshot. You can send by direct message on here as well if you prefer.

Thanks
Glenn

Ah that's good, your original screenshot looked different than mine so was wondering if that was it. The console with the red was as expected, that more or less says it can't identify the trajectory rows. 

Layer Type is used to identify the type of data in each row. So the axis must either be set to a column in the underlying data table, or it can be set as an expression. We just set it as an expression with a literal string of "Trajectory", so every single row will be treated as a trajectory row. But if you had a column in your data table, just say it was called LayerType and had a value in that column for every row of Trajectory (as a string) then it would work the same way. Ultimately when you add other layer types, say a perforation, plug value, etc then you will have to use the data table column method to identify the rows. The column value needs to match exactly one of the following, and its case-sensitive:

• Trajectory 
  • Value
  • Fill
  • Perforation
  • Gun
  • Plugs

There's more info in this article section

This is all a workaround because we can't send multiple data tables into a mod.

Glad you got it working.

Glenn

Okay no problem, that all sounds good and I can certainly handle that. Unfortunately I went to select other wells to make sure the wellbore was coming through and left everything as it was and now I cannot see the wellbore for other wells. Here's the console error code log and my visual- image.thumb.png.4263c4fc82b31dc03b26483aa891eb1f.pngimage.thumb.png.19bdb6eb1d1c6559b678816934d66fe0.png

The original well works and it looks like a variety of other wells work too, but it's a 50-50 chance that the well will display. I'll have to look through the data and investigate. Looks like all rows are coming in for the wells that don't appear and none appear to be missing MD or TVD values. It's very strange. 

I've been trying to troubleshoot why only half of my data responds to the wellbore diagram and still can't figure out what is causing the issue. Here's my console log, hoping it will point to a solution. image.thumb.png.a04ec3dd1890050419a0f39a9bd3127b.png

Hi,

Coloring will only apply to Fill and Value rows in this mod. So you'll need to have some of those in your data in order for coloring to work. For a Fill you just need a single row, and it will fill from the top to the MD of that Fill row. For Value rows, it helps to have several of them and it will fill +/- half way to the next value MD following the wellbore profile.

Thanks,
Glenn

@apreble kindly provided their data for troubleshooting, and we discovered there was some inconsistencies in the TVD and MD data. The mod does some trigonometric calculations, and the ratio of delta TVD to delta MD between two adjacent rows must be less than zero so it can calculate inclination. This can happen where there are rounding errors. Another issue is we had multiple laterals on the same well name, so there was actually two trajectories in the data, and the mod was getting confused by this. Once we filtered out the inconsistent rows, out and trellised by the lateral it rendered OK.

There's now a new released version of the mod in the Exchange (1.2.0) that is more resilient when there are issues with dTVD/dMD. It will now automatically skip these rows, but post a warning icon and log more information about which rows it is unhappy with.