Function “BinByEvenIntervals” is not working as expected. It this a bug in Spotfire?

Rens Peters
Go to solution Solved by Olivier Keugue Tadaa,

Dear Spotfire experts,

It looks like the function “BinByEvenIntervals” is not working as expected. It this a bug in Spotfire?
It seems like it always keeps looking at the original data table that is used for the visualizations and not based on applied filters in the visualization.

For the X-Axis I use this function and a date-column to create the analysis. As. Example [Report Date] = dd-MMM-yyyy.

• BinByEvenIntervals([Report Date],2) --> to create two equal bins based on the selected time period.

For the Y-axis I use (Row Count).

• To view the number of rows for the first and second period based on the created bins.

If you apply a filter on the [Report Date] in the analysis. E.g. you select a different time period. Then the Row Count will change (this will reduce for the deselected data). However, the timeperiod for the two bins that are created stays the same. Where I would expect that this will also adjust to the applied filters. Like how it normally behaves for every X-axis time filtering.

No filter is applied: Time period is Aug-23 tot Aug-24

image.png.7e50d0fdb94d1c38d8d1af66c360e220.png

• Expected date in the middle / split between the 2 bins is indeed Feb-24

Now filter is applied: Time period is Jan-23 tot Aug-24

image.png.1f3b5b7ea12296d91c78d7e438ddd8de.png

• Only the RowCount() changes, but not the X-Axis. It keeps the original bins of the data-table.
  • Expected date in the middle / split between the 2 bins stays at Feb-24, but Apr-24 is expected.

As mentioned at the top of this post; is this a bug in Spotfire or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!