Alerting Frameworks - Emails not sending.

Go to solution Solved by David Boot-Olazabal,

Hi all - we have configured the alerting framework and everything seems to be working except the emails are not sending, but we're not getting any errors. 

1. We have AS jobs on the same server that run and send emails and those complete and send without any errors/issues. 
  2. We have followed the steps in the troubleshooting section of the user guide (pasted below).

image.png.2438eae46a6548da193b5f851105ffb8.png

1. When I run the job on the server, there are no errors and it completes fine. When i run the job locally, i get an invalid certificate error:

Starting job 43bef0d3-0521-40ef-b8e3-b608027ba2c1.xml
Running Open Analysis from Library (1 of 3)
Running Subscription Data Export (2 of 3)
The task 'Subscription Data Export' could not be executed.
System.IO.IOException: Invalid Signature.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append)
   at Spotfire.AlertingFramework.Tasks.SubscriptionDataExport.ExportToText(Visual vis, String exportFile)
   at Spotfire.AlertingFramework.Tasks.SubscriptionDataExport.ExportToExcel(Visual vis, String exportFile)
   at Spotfire.AlertingFramework.Tasks.SubscriptionDataExport.ExportVisualData(Visual vis, String exportFile)
   at Spotfire.AlertingFramework.Tasks.SubscriptionDataExport.Execute(TaskExecutionContext context, Boolean exportTableVisualization, String exportId, String pageName, String tableName, String exportFile)
Done

3. We have reviewed all logs (Automation Services logs, Alerting.log) and see no indications of errors or success. 

We are at a loss of how to troubleshoot this - would appreciate any help or adviec or direction.

• 1 month later...

Hi David,
I am not getting any error, below is the SMTP setting in the alerting .properties. 

# SMTP Setting
alerting.smtp.server=mailrelay.wdc.com
alerting.smtp.port=25
alerting.smtp.user=
# SMTP password should be encoded using the included encode.exe tool
alerting.smtp.password=
alerting.smtp.encryption=

I have attached the XML job generated. 

2dbaabb0-774f-49f9-a6eb-ccd36b8a3192.xml

Hi Praveen

Basically getting email working is harder than it should be as a lot of the time the servers treat any incorrect attempt as SPAM and do not give any error messages.

Can you confirm the following:

• You are running the latest Alerting Framework, that is V2
  • The settings in the Alerting Configuration match exactly those that you are using for the AS Job Builder
  • The AS instance that the email is working correctly on is the same instance as the one used by the Alerting Framework (if not, please check the firewall rules)

It is our intention to build a Test Email button into the framework to help debug these issues but for now we are stuck with troubleshooting step by step.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Praveen,

This is my alerting.properties file SMTP setup (changed names for the user/password/spotfire server.client/id & client secret):

alerting.jobDirectory=C:/spotfire/SpotfireAlertingExtension/AlertsRunner/jobs
alerting.exportDirectory=C:/spotfire/SpotfireAlertingExtension/AlertsRunner/exports
alerting.paperSize=A4
alerting.deleteTempFiles=false
alerting.smtp.server=smtp.gmail.com
alerting.smtp.port=587
alerting.smtp.user=xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
alerting.smtp.password=ENC(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
alerting.smtp.encryption=TLS
alerting.spotfire.url=https://eu123-spot:8080/spotfire
alerting.spotfire.clientId=1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.oauth-clients.spotfire.tibco.com
alerting.spotfire.clientSecret=ENC(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxx==)
alerting.spotfire.checkJobStatusSleepInterval=10

Did you also add the same values for client id and client secret in the preferences?
image.thumb.png.1fd7f9cd3ee5140c5a26624dd898ca00.png

Kind regards,

David

• Solution

Hi Praveen,

I've checked your xml file and see two differences with one of mine:
image.thumb.png.efe7b9ffca566c7797c191c93aca2dfc.png

I assume you delete the password content on purpose, but it may be due to the fact that you don't use any encryption (SSL or TLS).

When looking at all the other parameters, it seems to be alright, but the encryption part (I use TLS) may the missing link.

Kind regards,

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...