Spotfire 14+ Creating an Extension

Hi team,

I'm working on building an extension following this guide: Creating an extension using only Visual Studio (tibco.com)

I'm encountering an error when trying to create the project. The error message specifies a required MSBuild version, but I can't find that specific version through the Visual Studio installer.

Has anyone else faced this issue? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Error:
The project file cannot be opened. Version 8.0.204 of the .NET SDK requires at least version 17.8.3 of MSBuild. The current available version of MSBuild is 16.11.2.50704. Change the .NET SDK specified in global.json to an older version that requires the MSBuild version currently available.

Thanks,

Tousifahamed

• 1 month later...

Tousif,

You will need a copy of Analyst installed in order to run the samples as you need to have all the other base modules.  The SDK only has the tools for building and testing, but one needs a Spotfire Analyst installed so the SDK can use the default modules directory to get the rest of the Analyst functionality.

Regards,

Peter  

• Like 1

Tousif,

Going back to the original documentation that you are following - Creating an extension using only Visual Studio - is there a step in here that you are getting stuck on?  Do you have everything configured, but you still don't see the examples in the Spotfire Analyst that you have compiled?  I am trying to understand better what your issue is so any more description and screenshots would probably be helpful.

Regards,

Peter

From the documentation: 

Creating an extension using only Visual Studio

4 To be able to debug the extension, you must manually do the following configuration in Visual Studio:

1. Select the extension project in Solution Explorer.
  2. Select View > Property Pages .
  3. On the Debug page, click Open debug launch profiles UI, and, in the Launch Profiles dialog, do the following:
    1. Click Create a new profile create_a_new_profile_i.png, and choose Executable.
    2. For your new profile, under Executable, point to a Spotfire.Dxp.exe on your computer. It could be your installed version, some intermediate beta-version or similar. For example, C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Spotfire\14.0.0\Spotfire.Dxp.exe.

Is it mandatory to use 14.0.0\Spotifre.Dxp.exe to execute Extenstion examples of \..\SPOT_sfire_dev_14.2.0_win\SDK\Examples\Extensions\SpotfireDeveloper.CustomPanelExample

or we can point to older executables?

Tousif,

You could try an earlier version of Spotfire Analyst, but since you have the 14+ SDK installed I don't know if there would be any API changes that would affect debugging the examples.  I would think that there could be a few but probably not many API changes.

Regards,

Peter