Unable to Save Dashboards

S H

Hello,

I periodically will be working on a dashboard only to encounter the following error when I try to save:

"Error message: Could not publish Dashboard.

InvalidOperationException at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework:

Attempt to write an inconsistent embedded resource to stream. (HRESULT: 80131509)

Stack Trace:

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.EmbeddedResource.WriteToStream(Stream stream)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.PersistenceManager.c__DisplayClass2.c__DisplayClass4.b__1()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.Progress.ExecuteSubtask(String title, IndeterminateProgressFormatter progressFormatter, ProgressOperation operation)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.PersistenceManager.c__DisplayClass2.b__0()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.Progress.ExecuteSubtask(String title, Int64 totalSteps, DeterminateProgressFormatter progressFormatter, ProgressOperation operation)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.PersistenceManager.AddEmbeddedResources(SerializationContext serContext, ZipWriter zWriter, String embeddedResourceEntryName)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.PersistenceManager.Save(DocumentTypes documentType, DocumentNode doc, IDocumentSaveSettings settings, Stream targetStream)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.PersistenceManager.Save(DocumentTypes documentType, DocumentNode doc, IDocumentSaveSettings settings, String fileName)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.AnalysisApplication.SaveAs(LibraryEntry entry, Document document, LibraryItemMetadataSettings metadataSettings, DocumentSaveSettings saveSettings)

at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FileUserActions.c__DisplayClass1e.b__1b()

at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsProgressService.ProgressThread.DoOperationLoop()"

The dashboard never has embedded data, and nothing I seem to change with respect to embedded data seems to change the error. Inevitably once I receive this error, I have to close Spotfire (discarding all my work) and open the same dashboard again to make the same changes (which I can then save with no issue).

What does this error mean and how can I recover and save the dashboard after it has appeared

That is strange, there can be manyreasons i.e. if the server was restarted during your save, resources were busy, Spotfiredatabase was down., the best way is to get the log from Spotfireadmin if this issue repeats and try to find out what was the reason.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Unfortunately no, I have never figured out what causes this.  Every month or two someone on our team encounters this error and we lose work.  It is quite frustrating.

We will be moving from SF 7.7 to SF X in the near future, and I am hoping that this bug has been resolved.

If you do find anything that sheds light on this, I would love to hear what the root cause is.