Custom SharePoint Online Connector Authentication

Lawrence McWatt
Go to solution Solved by Lawrence McWatt,

Having recently deployed the Custom SharePoint Online Connector v24 on a new instance of Spotfire v 14.0, I am having difficulty with Web Player not authenticating when loading data from a SharePoint list.

I have followed the instructions as set out on the SharePoint Online Files Custom Connector User Guide.pdf

When logging into Web Player, I use the same user credentials as were used in the creation of the analysis file. However, after entering my credentials I receive the dialogue box – (MissingData.png)

The SharePoint connection has been established in Spotfire Desktop Analyst and runs without issue. All details appear correct when viewing the table properties – (DataTableProperties.PNG)

I am not sure if this is a permissions issue as I am able to view the resource via the browser.

The analysis file was created by the same user on Web Player.

Is there a service account that needs SharePoint permissions also?

Many Thanks,

DataTableProperties.PNG

MissingData.PNG

Hi Lawrence

The first thing to check is that you updated the Web Player Service so that it now includes the new module for the Custom Connector.  Typically this message indicates that the module is not deployed on the Web Player Service.

You can do this in the Web Administration GUI by going to Nodes and Services and clicking on the Web Player Service (not the instance) and looking at the bottom half of the screen.

If you see a message like the one below where the installed version is None then you need to click on the Update Service button to install those Modules.  Be aware that this will restart the Web Player instance(s) so make sure nobody is in the middle of any work before you do.

image.thumb.png.cd503cca04e7a7676eee5b0d89435f60.png

If everything looks correct and the module is indeed installed, then the next step would be to look in the Web Player log files at around the time you receive the error and post any error messages to see if we can determine what is going on.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for your reply.
I believe that the modules are installed correctly.
I have increased logging level to Debug and run a further test.
However, I am unsure what log file to view that shows the Web Player activity.
I have downloaded the global Spotfire troubleshooting bundle.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Packages.PNG

When executing a Web Player analysis file, I receive the following warning in the Spotfire.Dxp.Worker.Host.Debug log file:

WARN ;2024-02-12T10:01:18,718+00:00;2024-02-12 10:01:18,718;3dbf2211-a84a-43b2-a1f2-1a7fc4af331d;0511453579RWmf;WorkThread 55_16;lawrence@domain.com WAT 125;ba09b8243904365b9e65313f01f47947;Spotfire.Dxp.Data.AsyncImport.DataTablesLoader;"Prompting for failed to open table 'Lists'. Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Exceptions.ImportException: Response is empty which could mean a Timeout error, see log for details.  Failed to get Excel Data for file from SharePoint

The message returned to the browser is:

ImportException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data:
The request to the Microsoft Graph API failed.  Failed to get Excel Data for file from SharePoint
Failed to get Excel Data for file from SharePoint
accessDenied Access denied

Are there additional Azure application or SharePoint settings required ??

Lawrence,

Do you know if HTTP calls out of the Web Player server are restricted?  Oftentimes, servers are locked down and are not allowed to make HTTP calls to other machines.  The Microsoft Graph API is used to get the SharePoint information and the Web Player connects to it via an HTTP web call.  

Are you able to check what the restrictions are on the Web Player?  Based on the "access denied" error, a proxy or other network device could be stopping HTTP calls to the Graph API.  Those calls may need to be whitelisted.

Peter

• Solution

Hi, good morning, Peter,
Many thanks for your reply and prompt to revisit http requests.
After a thorough examination of both application and firewall log files, I pinpointed thirteen essential URLs for enabling Azure and SharePoint authentication.

•    portal.azure.com/
•    MYDOMAIN.sharepoint.com/
•    login.live.com/
•    login.microsoftonline.com/
•    *.msauth.net/
•    *.msftauth.net/
•    *.office.com/
•    *.cdn.office.net/
•    MYDOMAIN-uat.sharepoint.com
•    MYDOMAIN-my.sharepoint.com
•    *.office365.com
•    *.MYDOMAIN.sharepoint.com
•    *.microsoft.com

After whitelisting these URLs, Web Player is now authenticating and displaying the appropriate SharePoint resources.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi @Lawrence McWatt,

Just to clarify, are you whitelisted aforementioned SharePoint URLs in Spotfire Web Player proxy settings or on firewall side?

On 2/20/2024 at 3:31 AM, Lawrence McWatt said:

*.msauth.net/
•    *.msftauth.net/
•    *.office.com/
•    *.cdn.office.net/
•    MYDOMAIN-uat.sharepoint.com
•    MYDOMAIN-my.sharepoint.com
•    *.office365.com
•    *.MYDOMAIN.sharepoint.com