IronPython: how to apply "color by unique values" for visualization

Charles Randall 2

Hello,

I am trying to write an IronPython script that will automatically set colors based on unique values in a column (e.g., "1" gets one color, "2" gets a different color, etc.). Here's an example image (using entirely made-up "data"):

However, I cannot find a good way to automate this with IronPython; the code I currently have is this:

visualization.ColorAxis.Coloring.Clear()

visualization.ColorAxis.Coloring.AddCategoricalColorRule()

visualization.ColorAxis.Expression = "[" + colNameToColorBy + "]"

However, the block of code needs to be run twice - for some reason, if it gets run only once, I end up with a continuous ColorRule:

I have tried commenting out various lines when putting two copies of the code block back-to-back, to see if only one part of it needs to be run twice, but it only seems to work as expected when the entire block runs twice.

Also, since there is no mention of the color scheme (I would like to keep using the built-in "Spotfire categorical" scheme), or the fact that the categories are automatically getting assigned, I am concerned that it would not be a robust solution even if it did behave as I expected.

If anybody could share some advice/information on either a) a better way to achieve this via IronPython, or b) why the code I have is behaving the way it is, it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Charles

Edit: I seem to have solved my issue by putting around the column name in the ColorAxis expression instead of just []. Whoops!

To add images/screenshots, try using one of the following two methods:

a) To add the screenshot inline, use the Media Browser that is available in the toolbar when writing/editing a post.OR

b) To add the screenshot as an attachment, use the Attachments section and add your file there.