Scatter Plot - Line Connection Priority

Chris Ludlam

I have a time-series scatter plot where the drawing order is determined by the date the data was entered, with the most recent entry being on top. As a time-series scatter plot, I have line connections between the points. The drawing order for the line connections does not match the drawing order for the points themselves. How is the line connection drawing order prioritized Reversing the drawing order of the points does not appear to reverse the line connection drawing order. Anything to help understand the order would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Chris,

>How is the line connection drawing order prioritized

The Lines are simply drawn according to the sort order of the values in the column you selected for "draw a separate line per value in". Note that if that column is of a string type, you can use a custom sort order which may help you achieve what you are looking for. Example screenshot below of where I started with the line connection based on an integer column containing the numbers 1-4, changed it to string, set a custom sort order with 2 as the highest value, and the line for 2 (green) is now drawn last/on top. If what you are trying to achieve turns out not to be possible, please make sure to report an idea for it in the TIBCO Ideas Portal: https://ideas.tibco.com/ideas.

Best Regards

Fredrik

• 11 months later...

Hello Verena,

Some screenshots were unfortunately lost in the recent community migration.

You can read about how to set a Custom Sort Order here:

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/sfire-analyst/12.3.0/doc/html/en-US/TIB_sfire-analyst_UsersGuide/index.htm#t=data%2Fdata_changing_the_default_sort_order_of_values_in_a_column.htm

Here's a screenshot that shows how you can do it as well, starting from the "Data in analysis" fly-out.

customsortorder.thumb.PNG.6ff290edbde1dbe336fd3e5e238f604e.PNG