How I use Scatter Plot with Y-axis Multiple Scales but have single axis scales on left and right side

Dan W

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I have multiple Y axis Columns and click Multiple Scales, it creates a unique scale for each column, but what I really want is just one scale for the left side and one scale for the right side, with the columns fit together on the same respective scale. I feel like there's an feature missing here, like "Two axis with single respective scales". Hate to say this, but like the default behavior in Excel when creating a similar chart with Primary and Secondary axes, and I find myself sometimes exporting Spotfire data to Excel just take advantage of this one feature Excel has that I can't reproduce in Spotfire.

A more tangible example would be a Combo Chart with Y-axis with Primary Axis columns in a Log Scale for (1) Line of Electricity generated (2) Line of Water consumption volume and then Secondary Axis in a Linear scale showing (3) Hours online per day or days per month as a bar chart behind the lines. A chart like this can visually show the correlation of electrical consumption vs. Water consumption, but I don't want independant Primary Axis columns.

Does that make sense

Edit: Added 2 screenshots to illustrate. With 2 variables on a Single Y Axis, the axis is properly scaled to show both of them on a Single axis. However, as soon as I add a variable to the secondary Y axis, I am forced to have each variable with its own axis. What I need are 2 Single Y Axis, one for the Primary and one for the Secondary, not multiple scales. With multiple scales, the graph looks like garbage and I am forced to either set hard limits, or just do it in Excel. The 3rd screenshot shows how this is done in Excel, which seems an obvious feature to have in Spotfire, but it doesn't exist.

• 2 weeks later...
Shandilya, that doesn't solve my problem, because when you assign multiple scales it creates a unique scale for each variable. I was a single consolidated scale for the left axis and single consolidated scale for the right axis, no matter how many variables are on each axis. I want the variables to share a scale.

Thanks for the clarification - yes I've added an enhancement request. Based on the "Similar Questions" linke appearing on the right side of the screen, this appears to be a very common issue with other users. I'm quite surprised Tibco developers haven't added such a basic feature yet.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...