Performance Difference in Ironpython between Debug Window and Execution in Analysis

Paul Shumaker

Hello,

I currently have an Ironpython script that is driven off of a Document property populated by a user-selected dropdown. Depending on the value selected (Fiscal Year to Date, last 6 months, Fiscal Quarter to Date, etc.), the script then executes to adjust the date slider in the report to accurately reflect user selection.

When I have the script open in the edit window and click Run, this process occurs within a couple seconds. However, when triggering this through a Document Property change within a Text Area, it can take 20-30 seconds to execute with the report freezing during this time. But when debugging and running it inside the Edit Script window, performance is not an issue and it runs in milliseconds.

Has anyone ever run into this issue before where there is a discrepancy in performance times

One thought is that perhaps the document property change also triggers other events in the analysis such as updating a calculated column or executing a data table data source, or similar. Can you confirm that

Otherwise, one would need the actual dxp to troubleshoot further. If this is not possible, probably opening a support case would be the quickest route.

Hi there,

Interesting question! If anything, the performance of a script running outside of the editor should be faster.

Is it possible that changing the document property is also causing other changes in the Spotfire anlysis - e.g. recalculating calculated columns

Can you remove the script execution from the property control and try it in isolation

If you're still not sure, how easy is it to send us your DXP for testing, obviously with minimal/public data Please post a reply here and I'll tell you how to get in touch if we think that's best.

Andrew