Sum data in one column depending on distinct other column

Hauke Verrept

Hi All,

I am trying to sum one column for all distinct values in another column. This to avoid counting duplicates twice. I have been experimenting with different forms of sum(if() and Distinct sumI9if( etc but can't seem to get it to work. The lines are not 100% identical due to some contaminated data, so just removing all exactly equal lines only solves part of the problem.

Example of dataset

RecID

Datetimes of event

timespan

15/01/2020 0900

1:30

15/01/2020 0900

1:30

15/01/2020 1000

00:45

16/01/2020 1500

2:30

I would need to sum the timespans for unique datetimes of event. The correct solution in this case would be: 1:30+00:45+2:30 = 4:45

If i count the duplicate my result becomes 6:15

Thanks!

Hauke

Starting in Spotfire version 10.1, there is a "Filter Rows" transformation which allows you to remove any duplicates from the data table completely and only retain one row per defined group. This can be accomplished via:

Data > Transform data > Transformation: Filter Rows > Insert

The following expression can be used for it:

Rank(baserowid(),"asc",[Datetimes of event],[timespan])=1

What is your expected output A calculated column or a calculated value Or are you working with a cross table

Most importanty, what makes your column unique How is your data contaminated Please show an example.

One approach could be to create a calculated columns that returns the "First Hit" for each unique row. Here, I use a boolean expression to get True/False:

If(Rank([Datetimes],"ties.method=first",[Datetimes],[Timespan])=1,TRUE,FALSE)

And then you could sum if TRUE 

If([First Hit],Sum([Timespan]))

If you are working with a cross table you could simply filter out FALSE in the "First Hit" column

As suggested by shaggarw I would recommend to get your data clean before you continue with further analysis. The only thing you need to know: What makes your data row unique