Expression that works in Calculated Column doesnot work in Calculated Value. Need help to resolve.

Deepak Mathew

Hello

I am attaching here my dxp . The problem is that a an Expression that seems to work in Calculated column doesnot seems to work(shows red) in Calculated Value in Text Area. I will give a brief explanation of the data .

part_id - Serial number of units

Lot - Batch number of units(there are 3 unique batches)

State - Description of treatment [Pre and Post ]

Parameter1 - Measured value of Parameter1

Parameter2 - Measured Value of Parameter2

Calculated column -StdDev(First(If([state]="Pre",[Parameter1])) over ([part_id],[Lot]) - First(If([state]="Post",[Parameter1])) over ([part_id],[Lot]))

This formula is simply trying to calculate stdev of variation in Parameter1 between each part from Pre to Post

When I apply the same Expression in Calculated Value in the Text Area it shows red and doesn't work. Please help me to understand and resolve.

Deepak

It works fine if you first create a calculated column [yourCol]:

First(If([state]="Pre",[Parameter1])) over ([part_id],[Lot]) - First(If([state]="Post",[Parameter1])) over ([part_id],[Lot])

And then make your calculated value:

StdDev([yourCol])

But I can't tell you why... But I had this issue several times and the calculated column is my solution.

Understood, I also thought about this , but the problem is I have multiple paramter columns and I was trying to do was dynamically calculate the value using "Column from Marked". So when I select the column name  in a table automatically this value gets calculated.

Is there way to do "Column from Marked" in claculated Columns. That would be enough for me.

Deepak

I don't know if this is possible with column from marked...

But if you could work with a document property that holds your column selection it should work well. You could also set you axis in a visualization with this property.If you could share a more detailled example file I can have a closer look.

Hi

I will try to explain my use case in better way . Typically what I do is do an ANOVA on the Parameter1 , Parameter2 with State in X column. Then based on what is selected/ marked in the Data Relationship column I wanted the Calculated Value to give Stdev for Deviations between unique devices between Pre an Post.

Sorry for my late reply. I checked your file and I understand what you want to to. But I don't know how you can use the "marked column" information. But probably you can use a script to access and use this information.

In the attached file you will find the workaround solution by using a document poperty for a column selection.

I also found that some of your "post" rows have duplicates which leads to a false result as the rows are used twice in the StdDev calculation. Please check my Pivot Table (page3) to see the difference.