Can I generate dxp file programatically

Henrique Araujo

I have an old system for quering databases thorugh an ODBC connection. This system is capable to generate queries and some basic charts on top of the results.

It works fine, but we are not able to upgrade it any more. So we are considering having Spotfire to replace it.

The problem is that a lot of our customers have a great number of queries configured in it, and it would be fantastic if we could, somehow, convert these queries from its format into a dxp file.

The database that have the queries has a few tables, basically storing the connection to the destination db (1), the SQL command that should be ran (2) and sometimes, parameters that should be aggregated into the SQL where clause (3). We also that the option to have charts (bar, pie, line) configured on top of the querys results.

Is there are way we can programatically create dxp files so that I can build a conversion tool from my old system into spotfire

Hi,

It sounds as this would primarily be used to transition your current solution to Spotfire, am I correct

In the spotfire Client and Automation Services API:s there are

Client API:s to automate the creation of plots and set them up programmatically

Client API:s to set filters and markings on loaded data

Client API:s to create DatabaseDataSource instances.

Automation Services tasks opens and saves dxp files, and possibility to create custom tasks that execute custom client API calls.

While the short strict answer to "can I generate a dxp file programmatically" is "no", as there is no dxp-file generation api in the strictest sense, you could possibly use the methods above to automate the analysis file plot creation and configuration inside a dxp file to a similar effect.

How much effort it would take etc.would vary depending on various details of your usecase. I mightsuggest you do a prototype/POC to find out.

Hope this helps,

Andreas