New columns added in SQL Server don't show up in Spotfire

Enric Marin

Hello all,

I am a relatively new user of Spotfire and have come across a problem Icannot seem to solve.

I am currently working on a new Spotfire analysis. The data for this analysis is stored in a SQL Server, so I use the Microsoft SQL Server connection to retrieve the data. The connection works perfectly and I can access the desired database and select the tables I need. Once these are selected, I choose the option to Import these tables, as opposed to using the On-demand or External alternatives. When all is ready, I click OK and the data is loaded correctly and can use it to create visualisations.

This is where I find the problem. Since the analysis is in progress, I need to make new calculations and create new columns in the SQL database tables. When I create these, I expectthe new columns to be imported automatically to theSpotfire analysis so I can use them on the visualisations, but it does not seem to be the case. I try reloading the tables using the Reload all data, but only the already imported columns are reloaded, ignoring the new ones that have been created in the SQL Server.The workaround I'm using is just creating a new connection and replacing the data source so Spotfire detects these new columns and I can use them in the analysis, but I find this to be repetitive and inefficient.

Is there a way to automatically import these new columns so they can be shown in visualisations without the hassle of creating new connections with the SQL Server

I found this similar question, but the answer does not help me because I cannot seem to find the Information Designer tool. My current Spotfire version is the 10.1.0.

Thanks in advance!