how to export structures as SMILES in spotfire

Charlie Jeynes

HI Don 

I have TIBCO spotfire Analyst 7.12.0

yes I did read this document manual before  -  so it seems i can export the column which contains the rendered  chemicals as images in .sdf format - which I suppose contains the SMILES (sorry i'm a bit new to this field)

EDITED: yes I see now  -  I was getting confused because my structures are saved as mdl mol files  - i need to convert them to SMILES - I can easily do this (in python or ChemDraw or something) - but can I do the conversion easily on the column in SpotFire

It would be nice to be able to export the table (containing other information about the molecule) as a csv, with the SMILES notation in the row - i'm guessing this isn't an option

Hi Charlie,

If you are working with PerkinElmer's Lead Discovery product then there are a series of Chemical Functions available which can be used as part of Calculated Columns.

Insert -> Calcualted Column, and you will see the Chemical Functions category, there is Convert function that allows you to convert to multiple chemical formats, for instance SMILES notation to be generated and exported:

Chemical function: Convert(Arg1, Arg2)

Convert Arg1 molecule to the MimeType of Arg2.

Below MimeTypes can be defined in Arg2:

- CDX

- CDXML

- Molfile

- SMILES

Example:

Convert([structure], "SMILES").

This will produce a new SMILES column in your Data Table. You can then use standard export features to export the SMILES.

Hope that helps,

Gerard