How do I compute a CAGR using Spotfire custom expressions

Gabriel Rotily

Hello,

The data looks as follows and I would like to calculate a CAGR for 2017-2019 directly on Spotfire.

Many thanks for your help !

Data:

Transaction ID

Sales

Year

Ok, so using this formula https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cagr.asp for CAGR:

In a TextArea set up two integer document properties startYear and endYear which each can span the unique values of the [Year] column.

If you want to display it in a text area as a calculated value, I could not work out a solution without precomputing two calculated columns:

[startValue]:

If([Year]=${startYear},ValueForMin([Transaction ID],[sales]) over ([Year]),NULL)

[endValue]:

If([Year]=${endYear},ValueForMax([Transaction ID],[sales]) over ([Year]),NULL)

Then compute the calculated value as:

Power(Max([endvalue]) / Max([startvalue]),1/(${endYear}-${startYear}+1))-1

I added the +1 in the count of years as I suppose that if you do it for e.g. 2017 to 2019 you are actually counting 3 years not 2. But anyway you can use the formula you choose.

If you want to compute it as a calculated column in the data table, I could do it without the intermediate columns [startValue] and [endValue] as:

Power(Max(If([Year]=${endYear},ValueForMax([Transaction ID],[sales]) over ([Year]),NULL)) / Max(If([Year]=${startYear},ValueForMin([Transaction ID],[sales]) over ([Year]),NULL)),1/(${endYear}-${startYear}+1))-1