Count the number of occurrences of a specific string within a specific date range

Pamir Rahimzadeh

Hi all,

I am trying to add KPIs to my dashboard using a string column; the column can take on various values, so I want to count the number of instances of a specific string value, quarter by quarter. For example, if a column can take on the string values "A", "B", and "C", I want to count all instances of "A" in a quarter (date), and use this as a KPI, where more than a specific number of instances for "A" will cause a flag (for Spotfire, this would be encoded by a color change for the KPI tile). It would be a bonus if I could also count the instances of "A" as a proportion of all values (A, B, and C, for this example).

I -think- this is doable via "OVER" and "THEN" statements, but I am having a hard time understanding custom expressions, and I have not been able to find an answer to this question in other community posts.

Actually you don't have to add any calculated column. All these calculations can be done with the KPI chart.

Go to the properties of you chart -> KPIs -> Settings

For the upper chart the expression for x-axis should beBinByDateTime([DateCol],"Year.Quarter",1) and for y-axis count()

For the lower chart the expression for x-axis should beBinByDateTime([DateCol],"Year.Quarter",1) and for y-axis Count() THEN [Value] / Sum([Value]) OVER (All([Axis.Tile]))

I know that these expression might look scary to someone. But they are auto-generated with just a few clicks.